1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

what is low ash oil????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Jul 4, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

a dealer told me to run low ash oil in my kohlers. he also told me to run 30 weight... my question is, is castrol 30 a low ash oil????? or what is a low ash oil? what brands?

my kohler was ticking and i stopped and he heard it and drained my oil and put in 2 quarts of some oil (it was in a barrel) and he told me to start and guarnteed it would not tick and he was right no noise since and told me always, always run a low ash oil and straight 30 weight and he said the engine will run for 4000 hours
    so i need to know all low ash oils.. thanks people

2. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

:clapping: Thanks very much for the link:drinkup: I love that good tech stuff.
    I happen to ride an ancient Virago I saved from beneath a shade tree:laugh:

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

arnt kolers supposed to have only 10w-30? or is that just the smaller 1 cyl command

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, real interesting how Amsoil has almost no ash and zero zinc while all the rest have a LOT more... I always wondered why amsoil claimed to be all that, I will be giving them more consideration in the future.

I run 10w-30 synthetic blend in all Kohlers, no questions asked.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

All you were hearing is lifter tap from a collapsed lifter. Alot of Kohlers do that and it wont harm them any. It comes and goes and may not return for a couple months then BAM tapping again for a couple minutes then goes away again.I have tried all kinds of oil and non of them made any difference.