1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best bang for $ against Grubs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LilRabbit, Apr 1, 2005.

1. LilRabbit

LilRabbit LawnSite Member

I use about 500 lbs. of grub control per season. (granuals from Wal-Mart/Home Depot) and was looking for a contact to get commercial quality possibly bulk. It can be granuals or spray. Thanks

2. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

Go to Lesco.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Merit. Put down in June / July. Either solubale packs for a tank mix or granular. Both must be watered in good and no clippings caught during the treatment.

4. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

I used Milky Spores on my own lawn last spring, so far no grub's or worst yet the skunk's and other critters tearing up my lawn. I had a guy who works for a large nursery tell me to use it. Its not cheap but he claims you only have to do it once.

Regard's Mike

5. LilRabbit

LilRabbit LawnSite Member

Thanks for the good info. I'm checking out Lesco now, the only problem here it looks like I would have to pick up and I'm 150 miles from the closest distribution center.

6. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

milkly spores......no way....that can take years and years, that's why no one uses it anymore.

7. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can get it in your area, Merit is the best. One application and a wide window, june-early aug, Totally eliminates grub problems. Very good money making application.

8. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry didnt see Markos post :) :)

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Milky Spore is effective up to 10 years. Downside is it only controls Japanese Beetle grubs...

10. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, Hubbard Lake. My wife's grandmother and aunt live up there. A properly timed application of Dylox is probably the best "bang for your buck". Merit is a great product, don't get me wrong, but it is pricey. Mach 2 in a combo product (meaning with fert) is also good, but more expensive too; still less than Merit. Check out the MSU Crop Advisory Team for landscapers for timing a Dylox application in your area. http://www.ipm.msu.edu/landCAT.htm