What is the definition of a weed treatment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CAMP Lawncare, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. CAMP Lawncare

    CAMP Lawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 9

    This is my second year doing lawncare and im comfortable going after commercial but i had a guy ask for weed treatment what could he mean by that :usflag:
  2. 2menandamower

    2menandamower LawnSite Member
    Messages: 247

    Could be weed control in Flower beds, or could be weed control treatments in the lawn areas. You can use Snapshot or preen in Flower beds as pre-emergent and then use the commercial versions of Round Up for spot sprays but be careful with it. YOu will probably need to be licensed to do the applications. Try contacting someone who is in your area that does spraying and not lawn cutting and sub it out to them. That is what I do and it works out great. I do an occasional spot spray here and there but nothing on a big scale and For sure not my commercial accounts...Good Luck

    PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,534

    If you have to ask-- well than it is something you can not do yet because you need training and a licence. Call you Ag. dept. for info
    What he is referring to is the full service of lawn and property care, Not just cutting. You set up a program to work with the soil and lawn to fertilize and control weeds and pests to produce a weed free lawn with thick strong grass and weed free beds.
    As two men said, best to sub out at this point,
  4. CAMP Lawncare

    CAMP Lawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 9

    Pmlawn im sure at one or another everyone has to ask a question or learn to better there business im sure yourself included but thanks for the reply

    PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,534

    Sorry if you took that the wrong way, was not ment as a put down, just facts that every state (I believe) requires a License to drop any type of pesticide. There is some type of training and testing needed to get the lic. That is why I said to contact your Extension Office.
  6. 6'7 330

    6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,821

    PMlawn wasn't trying to put you down, he was just offering good advise. You have to be licensed to apply pesticides in all states. As suggested sub the herbicide apps out, talk to the department of agg. The department of ag can supply you with info where to get the test materials, and where the test is conducted at in you're area. A good idea would be to over the winter, get the study materials and take the test. It isn't overtly hard, and then you will be legal, not subject to stiff fines and penalties for applying without a license.

    Good luck.
  7. CAMP Lawncare

    CAMP Lawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 9

    yeah i already got ahold of a company to sub it out thanks

Share This Page