1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

what is the going rate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blaster822, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

What is the going rate for a 1/2 acer and 1 acre

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

depends on how fast you can mow an acre. My rates are 30 to 40 bucks with a 21 inch mower. but obviously if i had a 60" mower, i could get alot more done in an hour, so with better equipment, rates would go up.:blob4:

3. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Hey jwingfield2k no offense but if you cut an acre with a 21" for say $40 you would only be making $24 an hour and pay for gas, travel time, load/ unload, and other expenses you would be looking at around $12 hour. Lets try to get our prices to the point were we can make a living off them. Don't get upset I am just trying to you and myself out. You helped me get my new mower from Garland Saw real cheap and I thank you

4. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Mow, trim, edge?
    $1 a minute at least. :blob2:

5. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i would charge from $40-$60 depending on how much trimming is involed and if there's a hillside.. i use mostly a 48 inch bobcat z rider. time is a big factor in this industry. and u can't charge for how long a job is going to take with different equipment. example 1 acer i usally charge about $60 takes 40 minutes but with a 21 inch mower it would take about a 1hr and a 1/2.. but it would have to be the same price of $60..

6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

"Mow, trim, edge?
    $1 a minute at least."

Don't do it for any less and as time goes you will get better at bidding your time

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok Dollar per minute....
    Pending the Obsticals? I would charge 45 for the 1/2 and 80 for the acre. I use a 42" rider and do several in the 2 acre size, wide open minus a few large trees and charge 110 flat per mow. Why only 110? it takes me on a long day 2 hours with trimming and they want year round service. A one time Shot Would be 2-3X normal price. Ie 1/2 acre would be 100-175 pending height and obsticals. Although after I do cut a one time job I tell them it will only cost them 45 or so (I have a good Idea now what it will take to make some money)a cut if they are willing to sign a contract. Have several people that have taken the bait.
    Good luck.