1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is the labor rate at your dealers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by STL Cuts, Jun 24, 2010.

1. STL Cuts

STL Cuts LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious what the labor rates are across the country.

I went into a dealer around here today and there was a sign on the door saying that the labor rate had increased to $85 an hour!!! I thought this was a little steep (luckily I just needed a part). If I recall right last year the norm in STL was about $60-$65 an hour, that's why the $85 was quite a surprise. They are a great dealership, and I'm in no way bashing them, just curious.

2. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Our shop is 95/hour. The hourly rate is not as important as how fast/good/efficiant the techs are. 95 bucks for one hour is better than 75 for 1.5 hours

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I hope your shop is air conditioned, nobody will work fast in this heat.

4. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

$53 per hour

5. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

$85!!!

That's why I would never bring hand held to the shop. Easily over $100 out the door. I'll fix everything on my own. They are not that hard to fix!!! A set of good metric ranch and some cheap tools can fix a lot of the stuff already.

That is the reason I don't go out of my way to buy from dealers. Unless you have a good dealer, they can cheat you by denying warrante, always find a reason why it is not cover.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Gosh I thought mine was outrageous at 60.

Same, I'd rather spend two hours fixing it myself than pay one hour of labor,
    especially since I don't have to leave the house for that.

7. Weekendwrench

Weekendwrench LawnSite Member
    from NY

Me and my buddy were just talking about this. I just had to fix a suck valve on my 19 kaw motor last night and we were talking about how much a dealer would have charged me to do the work. I still say tools are a better investment than repair bills. This is off topic, but has this ever happen to anyone else? Stuck open exhaust valve ?

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

funny how you guys ***** about hourly rates when your charging the same to mow lawns and you dont have the overhead of a big shop. :rolleyes:

9. B Gillespie

B Gillespie LawnSite Member

Local rates for JD is $100, Ford, Chevy, and Toyota are $100. Bobcat/Stihl dealer is $75.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

It always looks different from the other side of the fence, my dealer is at $70.00 per hr. to answer the original thread question.

How is your surgery recuperation process coming along?