What is the most profitable?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ProspectLS, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Member

Outdoor kitchens is my # 1 most requested “add on” until they hear the price!

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I just told you.... Carpentry, decks and fences, handrails, pergolas, sheds, little funky bridges... there's very little competition for that sort of thing. Even if you are mediocre at it you can make more doing that than owning a mower will ever do for you.

3. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I am getting a crap ton of calls for outdoor cat aquariums!!

4. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Senior Member

can I place an order?

5. Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Senior Member

I want a cat refrigerator.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with a lot of this, but gas is a minimal expense. I don't understand how anyone running a 3 man crew with a large truck and a massive amount of equipment make any money mowing small 1/2 acre and under residential properties.

7. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

In my experience the small lawns pay way better per hour. I got 1/4 acres that pay $60 per mow. But you go to an acre lawn and price $240 their head would spin.
    As far as gas I do think it adds up. The ztrs rip through 2x the gas of a walk behind / a 3/4 ton obv gets 1/2 the mileage of 1/2 ton esp w the Added tow weight of a HD trailer and 3 ztrs. Point is w the .54cent per mile write off...you may break even or not even get a full write off on what you spent on gas $ when driving a HD setup. But w a 1500 towing light : .54 cents per mile writeoff is prob double what you spend on gas. It all adds up.

8. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

Oh for sure, small lawns pay more per hour. But my point is, gas is a relatively cheap operating expense. If you take a look at the overall percentage in dollars, it's not much. We spend roughly 3% per year. If gas went back to $4+ per gallon, it would really suck, but it's still not a whole lot compared to other things.

9. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

I might not be answering your question exactly, however developing / evolving newer skill sets in your current field which could help at least a lateral move within your Corp world seems to make the most sense to me. 14 years in a Corp world job which usually come with health and 401k match coupled with I’m presuming a good income (based off the land and equipment you’ve acquired) seems to be a better avenue for profit. I realize you stated you aren’t leaving till the ship sinks however making a plan within your same field after your time and skill investment seems like a wise decision to me. If your mind is made up and outdoors is in your future: Then my response would be:
    Your most profit will come from jobs which require equipment that has higher costs. The barriers to entry are less in mowing than in skid steer work. Meaning there will be less competition therefore higher profit margins. You already have a nice barn of equipment, which already allows you to take on jobs a mowing crew can’t.
    Determine your skill set and in the meantime improve upon it, and make a list of jobs/tasks that you are able to do and are willing to do. Then focus on creating a business towards those skills.
    that’s my .02

Jeff@diyokc likes this.
  10. paulsgrass

paulsgrass LawnSite Member

I googled it but am at a loss. What is an " Outdoor Cat Aquarium ". I presume it is a joke ?