• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

What is the purpose of walk behind mowers ?

LLandscaping

LawnSite Bronze Member
Walkbehinds hold steep hill, that a ZTR could not even attempt. They are better for small yards and gated yards. They also cost less, and are easier and cheaper to fix if there is a problem.

Adam,
Lovell's Lawn Care

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
Ditches as well. Not to mention a cost feasibility issue, there.

mtdman

LawnSite Gold Member
I've got plenty of lawns that a rider mower wouldn't fit on, inside gates and around yard obstacles. I've never had a rider and I do fine with my wbs. Besides, it's better exercise than sitting on your butt all day.

44toy

LawnSite Member
maybe you dont do yards that reguire one. If you are starting and want to get going without a 2nd morgage then this may be the ticket. Got about 8 years being dragged around behind one on yards that a ztr would not easily work on.

Rook00

LawnSite Member
I have a snapper 52" w/b w/ 23hp Kohler. . . the thing is great. I've got a sulky and fly on the thing!

Walk-behinds are much easier to manuever. If there is something hidden on the ground in front and I don't see it till the last second, I just put weight on the handles and lift the deck up. The ditches are easy, and I mow real steep. Saves a ton of time.

They also make sulky's that you can sit on!

grass_cuttin_fool

LawnSite Gold Member
I mow some cemetarys and I think standing allows me to cut closer and see better than sitting would allow

MudslinginFX4

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by LLandscaping
Walkbehinds hold steep hill, that a ZTR could not even attempt. They are better for small yards and gated yards. They also cost less, and are easier and cheaper to fix if there is a problem.

Adam,
Lovell's Lawn Care
Exactly what Adam said. You've always gotta have a wb.