1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is the story on hours on your Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turf9, Oct 15, 2004.

1. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I never really looked at it much but my hour meter on my 98 Walker 20 hp reads 1423.00 I keep it well maintained. When will it blow? How long will it last I find the weak link on this thing is the motor.So far it's running good blew a head gasket fixed it myself $6 part 1hr time. Any Walker war story's welcome.

2. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same thing. My 25hp 98 has a little over 1200 hours on it, same head gasket problem.

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

My '96 walker 20hp ghs has 1511 hrs with no engine problems. I am changing the discharge chute this week because it wore a hole thu it. I have not had any problems with this mower, just normal maintenance.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The war stories seem to be about the Kohlers not particularly the Walker.
    I had a 25hp Kohler from he ll in 1997-8 that was garbage after 100 hours. I later sold it and bought a 2000 26EFI that had a factory (Bosch) fuel pump issue that was rectified under warranty. Other than that my 26 has over 1200 hours on it and I have had ZERO problems, Kohler or Walker related.

Now that 98 was a different story. I can't even bring myself to talk about it again but head gaskets were one of the problems amongst many others.

5. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

had a 97 with the 20 hp.......got 2000+ hrs with no major probs. Then sold it to guy on here awhile back and he used it for a yr!

6. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

I have a 2000 model with a 20hp Kohler about 1400 hours and no engine problems yet.

7. mrgreeninc

mrgreeninc LawnSite Member

I have a 2000 walker with the EFI in it. I got 2520 hours before the motor was changed out. It was still running at the time but was leaking oil and had lost compression. I put a new motor in it with the updated wiring harness and computer. It has more power than the original motor had. I already have 200 hours on the new motor.

8. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

thanks for the input guys sound like the motor is in fact the weak point on these things.Knock on wood I hope I can push 2 more seasons out of it.Thanks again

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2 Walkers, a 1996 Kolher 20 HP and a 1997 diesel, both are close to 2900 hours. The 1996 is ready for a new engin, burning oil and fouling a plug. Very few problems,starters on the Kohler my biggest issue.

Gene

10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Got an 2002 20HP with 650 hrs and no problems yet. Glad to here you guys are getting lots of hours.