Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stumped on these light green patches. They have been around now for over a month, which leads me to believe its not Summer patch or Brown Patch. Am I wrong? Any suggestions?? Is it a wild type of grass a weed?? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Are you fertilizing and controlling weeds on this lawn?

Are you positive the grass in the lighter spots is the same grass species as the rest of the lawn?

Did this lawn do the same thing last year?

Does a dog do its business on this lawn?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MrBarefoot said:
Are you fertilizing and controlling weeds on this lawn?

Are you positive the grass in the lighter spots is the same grass species as the rest of the lawn?

Did this lawn do the same thing last year?

Does a dog do its business on this lawn?
Thanks for the reply, all good points the grass was planted about 3 years ago, Kentucky Blue, Rye and Red Fescus.
Did not do it last year at all. (Which is what threw us for a loop)
No Dogs, cats, nothing but natural wildlife running around.
We have noticed it starting to do this in other areas of the lawn and yet other areas are unaffected.
The yard is approx 4 acres.
I need some advice on this one.

Thanks again,
T. Defense.

·
Registered
394 Posts
First you have to determine if the grass that is dark is the same species as the grass that is light. Then you can determine what it is.

Get a magnifying glass and go to this site.

http://aggie-turf.tamu.edu/aggieturf2/grasswee/grasses/grasskey/startkey.html

That site, if used correctly, is the best way to positively identify a grass. Once you determine what each species is, even if it is the same, then we can provide some assistance.

If you really want to solve this then you have to put some effort into it. Identify the grass first. If both patches are the same species then you should do a soil test in a light green spot and a dark green spot. That is the next step to solving your mystery. It does not look like a fungus but it may be. Looks more like a nutrient issue but there is no way of knowing until you do some more work. Let us know.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
As Lawn shark says but I would do one thing first. Pure and simple soil sample. Needs to be done once a year any ways. I am guessing if you apply a SR fert with a high Fe concentration say 10% or so you will notice that it will all look the same. This is the short term fix. Identifying the turf and what is underneath is a long term fix and will not be done overnight.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Looks like the lawn has just been mowed. Is the uneven color more noticeable then?

Looks like patches of a fast growing turf type (tall fescue, possibly) outgrowing your predominant turf mix. You would be mowing off more grass blade in the patches, resulting in temporary discoloration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I am far from an expert but based on the links that everyone sent me (Thank you!!!) I think this is a grass and seems to be like the rest only a lighter green. I have posted another pic in an effort to shed some light on this problem. Thanks again to everyone for there help. Please continue.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The close-up picture helped. I would guess poa trivialis. RoundUp late summer and reseed with your original mixture.

·
Registered
49 Posts
good looking tall fescue.. i think it is a "different" variety of fescue, perhaps a creeping or fine type.... If it werent summer, I might even suggest some sort of rye.... best of luck, and dont let it get to you, the lawn is top notch.. jb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a closer shot of the lighter green grass, you can see the regular grass to the side its a much darker green. I swear it looks like the same species to me but again I'm new to all of this. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.