What is this in my grass?

BMonterotti

LawnSite Member
Zone 6a
I have several patches of these long, thick blades growing throughout my side yard and even after mowing, they are much longer than the rest. Is it there to stay, or can I do something to get it to blend in? Thanks for the assist!

BB057622-FC7E-4021-865C-0B57A1F11C92.jpeg

15DFFFC1-6C6E-4935-BCD2-8D6501860A2D.jpeg

87485D32-7C3C-4531-A0C9-D09598B044D0.jpeg

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Wide blade, prominent veins, but no mid-vein--suggests tall fescue--probably old-fashioned K-31. It was a good pasture grass 50 years ago. The leaf blades have microscopic barbs or rough hooks along the edges. You can feel the roughness if you pass it along your lips.
This is a good reason to never buy really cheap seed. Probably included in a low-quality seed mix from years ago. Possibly present as a contaminant listed as "other crop".

Here to stay, I suspect. Chemical control--depends--I am not familiar with chemicals that can be used on southern grasses.
This depends on your location. What part of Texas?
Bermuda grass?
St Augustine?

brichter14

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a side yard thats all k31. Its my favorite. Grows great, super thick. Tolerant. My back yard of tttf is crap

OP
B

BMonterotti

LawnSite Member
Toggle - I am in Columbus, OH so not sure where you got TX from.
Per your advice last fall, I overseeded with Falcon IV TTTF with a few lbs of quality KY bluegrass mixed in. This growth just started showing up a week or so ago, after an extremely dry summer that allowed for very little mowing.

OP
B

BMonterotti

LawnSite Member
Wide blade, prominent veins, but no mid-vein--suggests tall fescue--probably old-fashioned K-31. It was a good pasture grass 50 years ago. The leaf blades have microscopic barbs or rough hooks along the edges. You can feel the roughness if you pass it along your lips.
This is a good reason to never buy really cheap seed. Probably included in a low-quality seed mix from years ago. Possibly present as a contaminant listed as "other crop".

Here to stay, I suspect. Chemical control--depends--I am not familiar with chemicals that can be used on southern grasses.
This depends on your location. What part of Texas?
Bermuda grass?
St Augustine?

I am in Columbus, OH so not sure where you got TX from.
Per your advice last fall, I overseeded with Falcon IV TTTF with a few lbs of quality KY bluegrass mixed in. This growth just started showing up a week or so ago, after an extremely dry summer that allowed for very little mowing.

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
Chiming in for a riggle question. Not slandering the suggestion of falcon IV, just curious why one rated like falcon IV compared to all the newer higher rated varieties? I truly mean I’m not questioning that decision, just wanting to learn. But it’s ratings in the various ntep tests don’t show it as a standout. It’s not poor either. Appears a middle of the pack kind of rating. I’m strictly trying to learn, so would you share?

OP
B

BMonterotti

LawnSite Member
Chiming in for a riggle question. Not slandering the suggestion of falcon IV, just curious why one rated like falcon IV compared to all the newer higher rated varieties? I truly mean I’m not questioning that decision, just wanting to learn. But it’s ratings in the various ntep tests don’t show it as a standout. It’s not poor either. Appears a middle of the pack kind of rating. I’m strictly trying to learn, so would you share?

To clarify, Ruffle did not specifically suggest Falcon IV. I simply mentioned that this is what I had and that I would be mixing with a small amount of KBG. He UNC no way suggested the specific product, seems to be extremely knowledgeable, and I really appreciate his input!

OP
B

BMonterotti

LawnSite Member
R
To clarify, Ruffle did not specifically suggest Falcon IV. I simply mentioned that this is what I had and that I would be mixing with a small amount of KBG. He UNC no way suggested the specific product, seems to be extremely knowledgeable, and I really appreciate his input!
Riggle*. Darn auto correct has messed his name up twice now. Later in the post should read, “he in no way...

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
Oh he’s very insightful. I Respect his words a lot. So when reading your post I must have misunderstood and thought he suggested falcon iv. Which of curse he’d have a reason. And i wanted to know what that was. Truly for a learning experience. But gotcha. I’m all caught up now.