1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

What is this port on the intake manifold B&S Vanguard

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Vermonster, Jun 7, 2008.

  1. Vermonster

    Vermonster LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    I'm mostly a lurker here--but have always found the advice very valuable.

    Now I'm stumped and need some advice.

    I'm repowering a Scag walk-behind with a 18HP Vanguard, 350777-1159

    All was going smoothly (even got the clutch off without trashing it) until I noticed a strange port protruding from the shroud. Turns out it is some sort of fitting into the intake manifold. Not on my old motor. Couldn't find it in the manual. The only thing I can think of is some type of vacuum line, but not sure why.

    Can somebody tell me what this thing is? It came with a rubber cap in place. Can I leave the cap in place and run the motor? Should I cap it with a properly sized bolt? Or does it need to be connected, and if so to what?

    Thanks for the help. Pictures are below.



  2. mwjrepair

    mwjrepair LawnSite Member
    Messages: 30

    That's what it is.

    Worked on a 3000 series Cadet that had a vacuum actuated PTO.

    Just put the rubber cap on it. If you want to remove the fitting and plug it,
    I think it is an 1/8" pipe fitting, not a straight thread.

  3. DiyDave

    DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,695

    If you ain't going to use it, remove the hosebarb and plug it with a steel or plastic plug, I wouldn't trust rubber to last much more than a year or two in the sun.:dizzy:
  4. Vermonster

    Vermonster LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    Thanks for the help. I'll be checking out the threads and plugging it.

Share This Page