1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is this weed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by forgop, Aug 21, 2006.

1. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

It's different than my crabgrass and I've never seen it until this year. This stuff grows 2-3 times faster than the rest of my lawn. Is there anything I can put on it now to kill it off? Thanks!!!

DSC02943.JPG

DSC02944.JPG

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

sedgehammer from lesco.

3. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. After doing some digging around, I think I've got it identified and will try to get something to kill it off. It keeps spreading and for what it's worth, seems to be growing the thickest in a small area that I didn't put down any crabgrass preventative.

4. Echelon

Echelon LawnSite Member
    from ohio

looks like yellow nutsedge to me, ah, sorry, you did put that in your topic i see now. man, ive got to read it all before i post...

5. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Used sedgehammer for the first time last week.....good stuff!!

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Do not pull it.

It will probably take 2-3 seasons to completely get rid of it.

As stated before Sedgehammer from Lesco will kill it best.

7. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. I stopped at Lesco and picked up a box of the sedgehammer. $16 for 1k sq feet.

I just cut the grass on Monday, so I'll probably spray on Friday or so to give it a little more time to grow. There's no real chance for rain until Sunday, so then I'd maybe wait until around Wednesday before mowing again to give it a little more time. Hopefully I can get this stuff killed off this fall.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

It's an excellent product. If I'm not mistaken, the rain shouldn't cause any concern. I believe the time period for the product to be absorbed before any watering is only an hour or so. Make sure you follow directions and use a surfactant. Good Luck.

9. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

What is that?

10. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Surfactant = Spreader Sticker.

Indeed it's yellow nutsedge.. I just sprayed a 2k property with plenty of it yesterday..

Loves water.. so if you irrigate a lot, you may want to taper off some until you get it under control.

LJ