What is this weed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RussellB, Aug 17, 2019.

1. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

F9F8C906-9665-4F4A-BB4E-5295046FE9E5.jpeg Bermuda grass with this stuff growing dense in some spots and sporadic in other places. What will eliminate it? Thanks

wjjones and sjessen like this.
  2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

I think you've got a few different types of grassy weeds there. I see what looks like different seed heads but can't zoom in enough to make them out. I circled some, any chance you can get pics of them when it hasn't been mowed for a bit and they're mature?

It looks like smooth crabgrass, paspalum like bahia or dallisgrass, heck the seed head on the left looks like goosegrass maybe. Weed salad :/

seeds.jpg

GrassManKzoo, Cam15 and RussellB like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Gary. It’s my sons yard. Celcius didn’t kill it.

sjessen likes this.
  4. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

Japanese stilt grass. Maybe stuffs a pain. Aclaim is the only thing for that stuff

jcollett83, Cam15 and RussellB like this.
  5. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

But on the other hand might be dalisgrass

6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Smooth crabgrass. Seed head or what's left of one looks like it as well. Something with quinclorac and a sticker should do it. Won't be overnight but give it at least a week to do it's thing.

7. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like Doveweed to me, with at least one goosegrass plant that's being crowded out by the aggressiveness of the Doveweed. The option below will achieve 75% control at best

Max rate of Blindside applied twice in a 21 day period

or

Max rate Speedzone applied twice in a 21 day period

or

Max rate Tribute Total applied twice in a 21 day period

RussellB likes this.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i would say it's crabgrass.

Marine03112, Delmarva Keith and Cam15 like this.
  9. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Senior Member

That’s Kikuyu. Hard to kill, many golf courses just live with it instead of trying to kill it. We have several patches on our fields and it just keeps coming back no matter what we do. I’m sure there’s a way but i haven’t gotten around to it.

jcollett83 likes this.
  10. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Looks like Doveweed, its not dallisgrass, the leaves are a little small and the growth habit is different.

Blindside, applied heavily, twice. I cannot definitely say its not smooth crab so I'd add a chemical containing Quinclorac, like Drive XLR8.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019