·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short, its doing,
Spitting oil out the exhaust.
Has something been done to my carb?
My head has no service plug?

So I bought a used 2020 SRM 225. This is my 2nd season with it and I've been having a fair amount of oil/gunk coming out of the exhaust and ruining now 3 shirts and have even gotten some on my hat. It's also dripping on the ground/grass. I've now found out that my head doesn't have a grease hole and wonder whats up with that. I have noticed that not only the exhaust but the carb has huge gaskets. Is it stock?

I tried a new plug and even looked at the spark arrestor. (was clean) I was like screw it, I used to run nitro rc cars, how hard can it be to tune? I ended up backing off the idle screw about 2 turns and started trying to tune it to what the manual says... Without a temp gun or rpm thing... By ear. It somehow seems to be running quieter and smoother. But I do worry about heat. The thing I worry about is the high speed mix. Manual says to close it and then back it out 3/4 turn. However I've nearly got it fully closed and that doesn't sit right with me. There is about the last 1/4 turn that it doesn't seem to do anything, so I didn't fully close it. I lost track of where the low mix is, but it's somewhere around factory. It seems that both were still around factory, besides the idle screw.

It seems to run better, but I think it's still spitting oil/gas. Before, I spent about 30 mins in the back yard practicing some other stuff and pretty much used 3/4 of the fuel. Had to refuel to do the front.

First image is the head.
2nd shows one gasket by the white fuel thing and the smaller gasket by the wires. The big gasket is way bigger under the plastic cover.
3rd shows the smaller gasket
Exhaust gasket is not shown but is pretty thick and formed.

Thoughts?

Automotive tire Gas Fastener Nut Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually if a 2 stroke is spitting oil at the ehhxhaust, it is due to too much oil in the fuel, or the wrong type of oil in the fuel
This ^^^^
I forgot to mention this. I have a dedicated 1 gallon can. I just bought more earlier this month. I buy the 89 octane and go off of the pump gallon which is pretty close to the can's gallon marker. I use Echo Red Armor. Says 2.6oz line for 1 gallon of mix. There is another bigger line but it doesn't seem to say what that is for. I thought I got it pretty close to the 2.6oz line and mixed it pretty good by shaking at various angles for literally a minute. Maybe I should try and dilute it with other gas? (it's only 87 though)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I forgot to mention this. I have a dedicated 1 gallon can. I just bought more earlier this month. I buy the 89 octane and go off of the pump gallon which is pretty close to the can's gallon marker. I use Echo Red Armor. Says 2.6oz line for 1 gallon of mix. There is another bigger line but it doesn't seem to say what that is for. I thought I got it pretty close to the 2.6oz line and mixed it pretty good by shaking at various angles for literally a minute. Maybe I should try and dilute it with other gas? (it's only 87 though)

Sounds right to me. No, don't dilute it.
I'd say your carb is all jacked up. Somehow seems to be getting too much fuel if you are running the high speed screw in that far. Only way I know of that it could get too much fuel at WOT on a carb with no fuel bowl, is if the tank is too pressurized, which should just spit back into the tank on the return hose, or if it has a bad needle on the high speed adjuster. Only other possibility is that the carb is somehow damaged in the high speed circuit. You did buy a basically new weed eater used..... who know what the last owner did with the thing.

·
Registered
24,808 Posts
Most hand held manu's recommend 89 or higher octane. That isn't your only problem or even your problem at all, but it is something to remember.

Don't dilute the mix any. I agree that your carb sounds messed up, but I still don't see how that would make it spit oil anywhere unless the trimmer is running so poorly that it isn't burning the fuel/air mixture completely when running which could possibly cause the oil build up issue.

Have you looked at the air filter at all to see if it is clean? Just trying to consider things that would make the thing run rich.

As far as the head not having a grease hole- does one of the hex screws that are there where the guard bolts on also serve as a screw for greasing the head? Have you looked?

·
Registered
396 Posts
As far as the head not having a grease hole- does one of the hex screws that are there where the guard bolts on also serve as a screw for greasing the head? Have you looked?
Im thinking it does.

Plugged air filter is a good thought. Or oil soaked for some reason. I don’t give much thought to trimmer air filters. I check mine once a year maybe, and it’s never dirty, but it could happen.

·
Registered
24,808 Posts
Im thinking it does.

Plugged air filter is a good thought. Or oil soaked for some reason. I don’t give much thought to trimmer air filters. I check mine once a year maybe, and it’s never dirty, but it could happen.
I have seen them load up with oil on a trimmer where the carb needed replacing. That's what made me think of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most hand held manu's recommend 89 or higher octane. That isn't your only problem or even your problem at all, but it is something to remember.

Don't dilute the mix any. I agree what your carb sounds messed up, but I still don't see how that would make it spit oil anywhere unless the trimmer is running so poorly that it isn't burning the fuel/air mixture completely when running which could possibly cause the oil build up issue.

Have you looked at the air filter at all to see if it is clean? Just trying to consider things that would make the thing run rich.

The air filter looks pretty clean. I was wondering what that little white thing is on the fuel line and took it off and that was a big mistake as a bunch of gas came running out. I'm not really sure if it's supposed to do that. Maybe it will suck air in, but not let anything out? I did take that screw out by the T on the head. It's pretty small, I'm not sure how I would get the grease in there. It's also quite long. I can barely see something spinning with a flashlight. I was wondering if I had to take the whole head off to grease.

This is pretty extreme but if I let it get that dirty, it could. Echo Rep. What's wrong with my string trimmer
I'm seeing stuff about it not warming up enough and or not running it hard enough. I guess I never really run it that hard? I usually try to spin it as slow as I can, that it will cut. Lots of trees and fence. I usually go hard against a concrete foundation. Which might be a bad skill. I thought maybe I was flooding it when I would start but tried to start it without priming at all and it still does it. That new spark plug seems to be starting pretty easy now. It was still pretty easy before. My Husqvarna 125B is difficult to start. Don't care too much about that though.

·
Registered
24,808 Posts
That white "thing" is your fuel tank vent. You're not supposed to take it off as you found out LOL If you buy a new carb kit or new carb lines, it comes with the new line already attached.

There was a thread on here not that long ago (within the last year or so) on this same problem but I can't recall the title nor who was posting in it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That white "thing" is your fuel tank vent. You're not supposed to take it off as you found out LOL If you buy a new carb kit or new carb lines, it comes with the new line already attached.

There was a thread on here not that long ago (within the last year or so) on this same problem but I can't recall the title nor who was posting in it.
You are correct. My bad.
Usually they are mounted up into a pocket, and I thought in the pic it had a line on both ends. I digress. You are right.

·
Registered
24,808 Posts
A lot of them used to fit into a recess but the last several I have had just "float" on the top of a short line right out in the open and are held there by a little metal clip that affixes them to the other fuel line going into the carb.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Pro tip:
Dump oil in can first, then add gasoline.
No shaking required.

Reactions: Higgins909
1 - 19 of 19 Posts