• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

What is wrong with this lawn??! Please help

HighClassGrass

LawnSite Member
Just as the title says, I need help figuring out what is wrong with this lawn and how to remedy it! I cant tell if its fungus or grub damage, or...? The brown areas don't pull up easily and I dug a couple test holes and did not find any grubs and didn't notice any other visible insects. The lawn is bone dry.

It is a West facing, full sun exposure hill that does not get irrigated (other than what falls from the skies, which has not been much at all this
season). Fescue blend.

I have done 3 applications this season (Pre-emergent April 1, Pre-emergent May 15 and grub control June 26).

I noticed it starting to brown about 3 weeks to a month ago but figured it just wasnt getting watered but when I mowed it last week couldnt believe it! I'm getting nervous that it's something I somehow did since it looks like it stops right at the property line. Please help!

I should also note that two of my other lawns have areas of confirmed grub activity so I will need to apply some Dylox. I have never had to deal with grubs like I am this season so I'm kicking myself for switching fertilizer brands this season..

Thankyou for any and all help!

They dont live very far from me so if any further pictures or specific information is needed I can easily run over.
20200707_140745.jpg
20200707_140753.jpg

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Looks dry to me. Grass in the shade of the tree is greener because it is protected from the hot sun. Most of the lawns around Michigan look about the same. Hot and no rain for about a month.
In my experience, Dylox is not particularly effective. Sorry.

OP
HighClassGrass

HighClassGrass

LawnSite Member
Looks dry to me. Grass in the shade of the tree is greener because it is protected from the hot sun. Most of the lawns around Michigan look about the same. Hot and no rain for about a month.
In my experience, Dylox is not particularly effective. Sorry.
Thanks for a quick response and your helpful advice! I figured it was just heat stress but I have an unbreakable habit of immediately mentally jumping to worst case scenario..

What do you recommend in place of Dylox to remedy my confirmed grub damage? Thanks again!

OP
HighClassGrass

HighClassGrass

LawnSite Member
Agree with Riggle. Too hot for cool season turf. I have same thing here. I don't believe grubs or fert is the problem
Thanks! I figured it was heat stress given the exposure of the lawn but it freaked me out how it seems to stop right at the property line and for whatever reason it didn't occur to me that the neighbors water their lawn..thanks for helping ease my mind!

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
Keep in mind when using synthetic fertilizer blends that over time there is a build up of salt from those and when the heat hits that is what happens. Those high salt areas are the first to dry out. A lawn should not get drought stress in less than a week. If you have drought stress along with high salts in the soil apply some gypsum.