What is your average sized residential mulch job?

fitph

LawnSite Member
Thinking of doing some mulch jobs this year. Years ago my average was about 3 yards per job with 100 feet of edging? Planning on putting pre-emergent to keep weeds down too. What's the going rate for pre-m in the beds?

SunsUpLandscaping

LawnSite Member
Average sized mulch job in my service area is about 6-8 yards. I charge $75/yard which honestly should be higher. 100ft of edging? Is that redefining the edge of the bed? If so, charge more for that also. Haven’t done any pre-m for beds so I can’t comment on that.

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
I'm at 80/yd. this year.

OP
F

fitph

LawnSite Member
i charge 2$/foot for redefining, 110$/yard that includes minor bed prep, no pre. i also have a 2 yard minimum.
I was getting a dollar a foot back in 97, I had a bed shaper mounted on a Grasshopper. I am using a Brown now. Much slower but the cleanup is easier. The market won't bear 2 bucks a foot here, I'll be lucky to get a dollar. When I started with my bed shaper in 97 I was about the only guy who had a bed edger and getting a buck a foot was easy. In just a few years everyone had one and downward pricing pressure dropped it to a quarter a foot. It's just now getting back to where it used to be. I averaged $65 a yard for triple shred black hardwood back then too and was paying between 11 to 14 a yard for it. Ah the times have changed.

OP
F

fitph

LawnSite Member
Average sized mulch job in my service area is about 6-8 yards. I charge $75/yard which honestly should be higher. 100ft of edging? Is that redefining the edge of the bed? If so, charge more for that also. Haven’t done any pre-m for beds so I can’t comment on that.
I am thinking the average homeowner has more and bigger beds now so hopefully the average sized job will be bigger now. I am hopeful at least. 3 yard jobs suck.

Jake the grass guy

LawnSite Senior Member
I was getting a dollar a foot back in 97, I had a bed shaper mounted on a Grasshopper. I am using a Brown now. Much slower but the cleanup is easier. The market won't bear 2 bucks a foot here, I'll be lucky to get a dollar. When I started with my bed shaper in 97 I was about the only guy who had a bed edger and getting a buck a foot was easy. In just a few years everyone had one and downward pricing pressure dropped it to a quarter a foot. It's just now getting back to where it used to be. I averaged $65 a yard for triple shred black hardwood back then too and was paying between 11 to 14 a yard for it. Ah the times have changed.
not too far off from my mulching. i typically use dyed brown mulch which costs me about 37$/yard so our margins are similar.

Top Forums