1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What is your gas budget?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

This is the first year that I have kept very particular, itemized records of every transaction. I just added up and averaged out my gas spendings up to this date. I am a full-time solo operation with 40 weekly accounts. My average gas expenditure per month was $400. Over the past 27 weeks, the average gas price was $1.83/gal. I am getting ready to prepare a budget for next year. Just wonding where I stand and how you guys compare.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I pay about a 1.80 and 2.00 for gas depending on the time of year, i fill up my truck (97 F-250 Heavy Duty with 2 tanks) and 2 mowers for about $500 or so a month. So roughly my profit for 3-4 houses a month go towards gas. I do about the same amount of houses you do also.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Mine is usually somewhere between $350 to $400 for solo as well. Right now our gas is $1.92

How I budget for next year is I take the number of gallons that I used from the previous year and times it by what I feel will be the approx. amount fuel will be next year on average. For example, I have already budgeted for next year by taking my gallons so far used this year and multiplied it by $2.20 (that is what I feel will be the average next year). I usually figure a high average to cover my buttocks.

I must be doing something right because this year I still have about $600 left in my budget for gas and only 1 1/4 months before the end of the year. Which basically puts me in good.

4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

You've got me beat. Averaging $300/month. That number is skewed a bit tho as I was using a 4 cyl ranger up until the end of June. Now I'm driving a V10 F250. Needless to say I've spent alot more on fuel since buying the F250.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Mine is closer to 500 per month. I don't know what the average price of gas was.. I just filled up whereever. 89 in equip & 91-93 in truck. I cut close to 30 acres per week & the 31hp Generac likes to drink.

6. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Just remember to keep your truck gas and equipment gas seperate,you can deduct your highway use tax on your equiptment on your taxes. 18 cents a gallon here in OH

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I itemize my gas spendings into 3 categories: mowers/cans, trucks, 2-cycle

8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

We average about 500 a month,really depends on the time when and if the drought season starts...

9. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

we average between $950-$1100/month depending on time of the season and/or equipment being used.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i spend more on beer than i do on gas.