1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is your sales technique?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jacob Hancock, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jacob Hancock

Jacob Hancock LawnSite Member

What are the probing questions you ask?
    What are things you make sure to include?
    How do you brand yourself to commercial accounts?
    What sales aids do you use?
    Do you schedule follow up appointments?

Or anything else you find useful you would like to add, I would love to know.
    as a newer guy anything is helpful. Thanks for taking your time to help others and I out!

2. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Senior Member

Intimidation doesn’t work well in this business but you need to appear like you know what you’re talking about.

A lot of people think lawn landscape guys are idiots but if you can prove them wrong by being knowledgeable I have found you can win the bid even when you’re not priced as competitively as the other guy who came by before you.

3. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

Only technique I have is I go in with a “Don’t give a s*#t” mentality.

I am professional, polite, courteous, etc, but I make a point to never seem hungry for work. I feel that people could sense that when I was starting out and it worked against me.

Now, there’s not a whole lot of flexibility.

Payment terms are non-negotiable.

Scheduling is non-negotiable.

In their minds, I’m working dawn ‘til dusk, seven days a week and could care less if they hire me; even if underneath I’m chomping at the bit because I want the yard so bad.

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Todd73s attitude. It helps to be confident and casual, and act like you are checking to see if THEY are worthy of your limited time.

But here is what I do. I ask "when is a good time to meet so you can show me what you need?" Always meet face to face if possible. Be on time. Compliment their property somehow, like say "nice firepit", or "cool tree" or whatever, but you have to mean it. Find out what they want, mowing, cleanup, whatever. Ask all the questions, get the details, offer options.

Then I cut it short. I say I have to go, and I will email the pricing. The next day I send the pricing and terms. I do not negotiate (unless I got something wrong). At the end of my email I ask them to let me know if they want me to schedule the work. That's it.

5. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Senior Member

Do as much as you can over the phone. If you have to visit them, qualify them. If your going to visit them, be able to give them an offer on the spot, your sales close rate will be very high if you can price them on the spot.

6. grass man 11

Beyond that, take sales trainging classes or read/listen to audio books. There are many out here to choose from and I almost always pick up a few tips from them.

7. Jacob Hancock

Jacob Hancock LawnSite Member

So basically you introduce yourself over the phone and get an appointment made? long story short

8. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

After a couple polite words on ph. I always ask for the address, I then pull it up on google earth pro. So I can get square footage and a very loose ballpark figure. Then I let them know I will be there tomorrow to look over property and give them an accurate qoute at that time.
    I also always ask if the use text messages. That way all communications are in writing.
    No way for them to claim I said $150 per week when I have text showing $175.

Todd73 likes this.
  9. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I always get an email address and then send them the estimate via Yardbook for the same reason; no “confusion” on what the price was. Yardbook also lets you include descriptions of the work, so if someone wants lawn maintenance, the description of what that entails is there. Again, no, “I thought that included weekly hedge trimming.”

My estimates are also only good for a specific time, usually seven days. Doesn’t give them weeks to shop around and also I don’t get bit in the butt by a yard that has become overgrown between the time the estimate was given and the time they signed up for service. Learned that lesson the hard way and it’s only happened once.

ltdlawn, JMK26 and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  10. grass man 11

I avoid driving to their home at all costs. We try to quote most things via phone.

Jacob Hancock likes this.