what kind of grass, mulch or bag?

bdlawncare

LawnSite Member
Okay so im planning on doing some lawns this up and coming season due to requests from snow removal customers. However I am in Northern NJ and not sure what kind of grass grows here... and from reading on this website i guess it really makes a big difference. Anyway my question is what kind of grass is in Northern NJ Bergan County and should i bag it or mulch it? I had someone tell me that if i mulch throughout the summer I will kill the lawn because of suffocating it... is this true? thanks!

OP
B

bdlawncare

LawnSite Member
noone knows what kind of grass northern nj has... does it differ that much? any help is appreciated. thanks BUMP

MJB

LawnSite Silver Member
noone knows what kind of grass northern nj has... does it differ that much? any help is appreciated. thanks BUMP
You can mulch it or bag it. It is a cool season grass like KBG mix . I'm not in NJ but most northern grasses are simular. Mulching is fine unless your cutting off to much grass or it is extremely wet. You don't want to leave to much on top , it looks bad and smothers the grass.

OP
B

bdlawncare

LawnSite Member
Thanks what would you recommend? Bag or Mulch oh yeah and what is KGB mix?

Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
Thanks what would you recommend? Bag or Mulch oh yeah and what is KGB mix?

Posted via Mobile Device
Keep reading as many threads as possible. These kind of questions are answered all over the place in this forum.

Why do you have to either bag the grass or mulch it? Why not just side discharge it? Is there a reason you can't side discharge?

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
Probably doesn't want to get grass all the place. He could just get a chute blocker. Same price as a mulch kit, and cheaper than a bagger system.

Grass looks best bagged, but bagging heavy wet grass makes extra weight and can cause rutting. If you want to bag everything get a walker or navigator and do it right.

Mulching will not smother the grass unless you are trying to cut too much off. Follow the 1/3 rule. It looks almost as good as bagged and adds nutrients back into the lawn.

Side discharge can be tricky not to grass all over the place. Chute blocker or Deeres mod deck helps. It looks almost as good as mulching of done correctly. You never ever want to leave it looking like a hay field, you can also smother the grass. Try to follow the 1/3 rule, but can go over that some with side discharge.

Do some research. You have so much info at your finger tips. If you can't find info on this site or by googling it, this is not for you, to put it bluntly. Not all of us had this site to come to when we started
Posted via Mobile Device