1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of mulch in NY

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by meth, Apr 8, 2008.

1. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

Just purchased a new house out in the country and re-doing some of the beds, I have to re-mulch the entire house so I am trying to figure out which mulch type is the best use. Regardless of cost I would like something that is insect resistant and hopefully that the voles won't like. I know Cedar is probably a good choice, but I heard its not good for around trees (because of the oils) and that it breaks down and fades too easily. Is the better choice cypress then? I don't want to go with that red dyed stuff, had it in my old house and it fades way to quickly and was a haven for bugs.

Anyone out here have any expertise in this? I went to the supplier and they were puching the black mulch as the "new in thing", however I am not sure what its made from or if it holds up to fading?

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

black ceder mulch is great bugs dont really like it . it looks nice and smells good too. by me the mulch holds its color great but it varies by supplier. it should hold its color for 2-3 seasons

3. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

Thanks for the reply - that is the way I am leaning right now - looks nice