what kind of weeds are and how to kill

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cpt87gn, Sep 24, 2009.

  1. cpt87gn

    cpt87gn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 218

    hi im new to this buisness theres a lot of newer homes 1 to 3 yrs old in my subdivision and a lot of them are not kept up im cutting lawns and would like to offer to help them get rid of the weeds for them but i dont know what to use and were to get it from other then homedepot or lowes thank you

    new on 9-24-09 014.jpg

    new on 9-24-09 013.jpg
  2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,296

    Why would people leave tufts of grassy weeds standing like that, it looks ridiculous....

    Just pull the stuff out, can you get the roots out with the stems?
    Else could wipe the leaves with gly, be careful not to damage the turf below.

    VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 547

    It looks like Johnson Grass to me.
  4. ted putnam

    ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,748

    I was thinking the same thing...Johnsongrass. I also think wicking it would be the best method ( Digging some of it wouldn't be a bad idea either). There are no good selective controls.
  5. cpt87gn

    cpt87gn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 218

    whats wicking it
  6. david shumaker

    david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 721

    It looks like they need a new lawn to me. You might need to kill the whole yard and start it over.
  7. ted putnam

    ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,748

    Usually I dribble Round Up right on the johnsongrass and "spot" it. But usually I don't run into huge patches of it that don't look like they've been mowed in weeks...like I see in your pics. Wicking is having some sort of wick or sponge that soaks up the Round Up. You then take this wick soaked with the material and rub just the plant you want to kill. In your case johnsongrass. In all seriousness I'd mix the round up in a bucket and use a sponge mop that can be rung out. A cheap one would do. You could take care of it pretty quick and not do a lit of bending over. JMO

    If you don't, you should have a license for this. There appears to be some good bermuda that will spread over any thin areas left. No need in killing the entire lawn and starting over
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  8. trustworth

    trustworth LawnSite Member
    Messages: 14

    Johnson grass, and spot spray with round up.

    If you pull it up there is a large possibility that you wont get all of the root and it will come back.
  9. txgrassguy

    txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,083

    There are a bunch of things you can do, some require either a TDA or SPCB license - others don't.
    From your comments in your posts if (which is a big IF) you have a valid license you need to get your money back from WalMart or from whomever sold you the license in the first place.

Share This Page