1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of ZTR to buy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by landgator, May 10, 2006.

1. landgator

landgator LawnSite Member

I need to know what kind of ZTR to buy. I want a 48" deck. I've been told to go with a Scag, they are expensive! I'm not trying to be cheap but I'am new in the business and don't have a lot of money. Thanks for the help.:usflag:

2. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

why not just get a commercial walk behind?

3. landgator

landgator LawnSite Member

How much do walk behinds cost? 48 inch deck.

4. Stan's_Lawn_Service

Stan's_Lawn_Service LawnSite Member

Between 3,000.00 and 4,000.00 Walk behinds, Scag ,Toro , Exmark, Encore Gravely, Bobcat, Ferris, Cubcadet, Snapper , Simplcity, Quick 36, and John Deere, all belt drives. Engines 13 to 17 hp KAWASAKI or KOHLER .
    Stans Lawn Service Stan

5. aDreamSoReal

aDreamSoReal LawnSite Member

Why not start off with a HVZ 2350 Gravely / Ariens? 23hp kohler with a 50" cut. 3K brand new. It will get you making money so you have save up for a real heavy duty unit.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scag has a 48 inch ztr with a 24 hp briggs you could buy for less than 6k.

7. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Hustler Z 52" with 23hp kawi for 6600.00. This unit was a little more then I wanted to spend but after mowing the first yard I couldn't have gotten a better mower. Highly recommend.

8. tehpr3chr

tehpr3chr LawnSite Member
    from NE GA

i think when i get one i'll get a wb just because i like the exercise, lol...

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

10. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer Support!!!!Dealer Support!!!!Dealer Support!!!! Do you have any accounts now? Do you have any yards that have gates, hills, ditches?