What landscape design software do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Barrett Landscaping, Aug 7, 2014.

1. oiboy626

oiboy626 LawnSite Member

Straight up AutoCAD for all the line work and construction plans and the conceptual designs on SketchUp

2. AAAKKjason

AAAKKjason LawnSite Member

backyard.jpg
    backyardfence2.jpg
    I use a combination of Photoshop, Sketch Up and Blender. This particular rendering was done 100% with Photoshop CC using the 3D engine. I can give other examples of renderings if you would like of pavers, landscaping, patios etc. Let me know. I find that the more photo realistic the image is, the easier it is for the customer to visualize your design/idea. Also great to to upsell for higher margin/more expensive material by showing two options.

hort101 likes this.
  3. filc.ca

filc.ca LawnSite Member

I was brought up on CAD and Dynascape, but I am currently using Landscape Architect 2016 from Idea Spectrum. Its got a small learning curve, the graphics are quite good, it has a very large plant library, it does real-time 3D walkthroughs, if your computer has the power.. it even works with the Occulus Rift virtual headset if you want to show your client a fully immersive preview! The cost is reasonable also.. I think I paid $450 CDN. One of my favorite features is that I am able to go to site ans take a couple basic measurements, ie. length of driveway, one side of the house, side yard measurement.. then I can go on to google earth, zoom in on their property, take a snip of the view, import it as an overlay in the program, then set the scale using a known distance, and BOOM... the dimensions will be accurate, and the program will calculate square footage and everything.

landscape 3.JPG

page-0.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  4. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

I also like rtla. The only down side for me is the "plan" view is a little bland. You can def get some good 3D renderings tho.

5. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

IMG_2123.JPG I have a rtla rendering on my spring flyer.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Full Circle Designs

Full Circle Designs LawnSite Member

After reading through these comments over the past few months and trialing a few programs I am using RTLA, I did find you can change the graphics to b&w and use the plan view more as a CAD base and color render it in marker and pencil after printing. I also have a copy of vector works that I am still using my training wheels for.

hort101 likes this.
  7. minotto

minotto LawnSite Member

Vectorworks Landmark is one of the best.