What legal business stuff do i need in NY?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Apr 27, 2008.

  1. 4 seasons lawn&land

    4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY
    Messages: 3,613

    like permit or license etc. what do I need, where can I get it? Thanks
  2. Lawn & Order LLC

    Lawn & Order LLC LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    dba or llc, a trip to the county clerk and 20-40 cash, head over to the bank and open a business checking account, call upstate agency insurance, google them and get a 1 mil gnl policy, your good to go...
  3. 4 seasons lawn&land

    4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY
    Messages: 3,613

    thanks, whats the difference between LLC and DBA?
  4. 4 seasons lawn&land

    4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY
    Messages: 3,613

    do i need a business licence
  5. 4 seasons lawn&land

    4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY
    Messages: 3,613

    is the county clerk at the town hall?
  6. Mrs. H

    Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 708

    Most likely. You need to go to your local County Courthouse and get a nice person who can help direct you to where you need to go next.

    Also, register for Tax I.D. number. It's like a Social Security number, but it will help keep you separate from your business.
  7. mvsPM

    mvsPM LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    you're using a ficticious name, you need a d.b.a from the county clerk (county court house $31)
    you need a federal tax ID (irs.gov)
    you will need your d.b.a. to open a business bank account.
    you need a certificate of authority in order to accept nys sales tax (nys dept of labor)
    you need business insurance
    if you are going to have employees you need to get on the fed & nys governmant web sites and do a lot of reading - there is a ton of recordkeeping now days
  8. lawnguyland

    lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,108

    Don't forget our friends at DEC!
  9. ODwyerPW

    ODwyerPW LawnSite Member
    Messages: 72

    What everyone else.

    If you have employees, it might be a good thing to consider something like TechValleyPayRoll.com . This allows you to pay your workers comp, unemployment & disability insurance on a pays as you go basis (a percentage of each payroll). It's a relatively inexpensive way to make sure you are doing everything correct.

    Regarding your Liability insurance...find out if it's tied to Gross Sales or Payroll. I once had a liability policy that was tied to payroll (which surprised me...I thought it was based on Gross Sales) as well as Gross Sales. My payroll was audited two years later and I was back charged. It wasn't pretty.

    if you are going to have your truck & trailer lettered, you also want to register your truck with the DOT. The fine is quite expensive if you don't.

    DEC is only necessary if you are going to be doing pest management (herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, etc...) & fertilisation. Don't bother unless you have allot of volume...the paperwork, notification, reporting, etc... can be a nuisance. Also, once you do PM with maintenace, you basically are taking total ownership of people's lawns (the Grow as well as the Mow). Sometimes, it's better to just walk away from that little extra money and let someone else sweat the Grow, reporting & regulations.

    Start thinking about where you will be putting leaf debris & clippings as well if you have to haul them off the sites. It can be expensive to dispose of this stuff in NY State.

    Welcome to being an enteprenuer in NYS.
  10. Tvov

    Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT
    Messages: 1,157

    You could also contact an accoutant who is experienced with small businesses. My accountant made sure all the ID numbers, insurances, paperwork, employee withholding, etc was all set up correctly.

    I think having a good accountant is worth the money. Just figuring out all the deductions could easily pay for the accountant's fee and then some.

Share This Page