1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

What legal stuff do I need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jan 25, 2008.

  1. 4 seasons lawn&land

    4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY
    Messages: 3,614

    Hi, I am starting a lawn care business and need to know what legal paperwork I need to get and where to get it, like licenses and stuff like that. Sorry, dumb question I know. never done this before. Thanks for your help.
  2. RGM

    RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md
    Messages: 979

    Check with your local small business association they give you the info you need free
  3. jdmcat

    jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho
    Messages: 439

    a CPA can also help you out
  4. k-man

    k-man LawnSite Member
    Messages: 12

    In Minnesota I started by filling for an assumed name. I did that on-line with the Secretary of State. Second I filed with the feds for my employee ID#, also done on-line at no cost. Then got my tax number from the state. In Minnesota lawn care is a taxable service and you must collect. As far as insurance I went with a local agent. The only advice I can give you on that is, if you are a sole proprietor, get a high liability policy. Now you can mow and blow, but no fertilizer applications.

Share This Page