What light fixtures would you use for this?

JimLewis

LawnSite Fanatic
Our firm is working on a landscape design and we've been asked to do an area similar to what you see in these photos below - with the dark/tinted/black "stream bed" in the center and various size lights within it. Not sure how they did any of that in these original photos. But if you were going to re-create this, how would you do it? I can't tell if that's a chamber underneath like a tinted plexiglass and there are just some sort of small lights down below. Or whether the lights are embedded into a plastic resin and the lights are almost at the surface, or what.

I don't necessarily need to do it the same way as was done here. Just trying to figure out how we'd accomplish this same general look and how we'd work the lighting into it. Thoughts???
8-2-connaught.jpg
8-connaught.jpg
c8e0039af9a5cf53d7d83b94038ed94e.jpg

OP
JimLewis

JimLewis

LawnSite Fanatic

starry night

LawnSite Platinum Member
Jim, More power to you to attempt a project like that one. I would have no idea where to start. Would this be indoors or outdoors?

This is really coincidence to see you post. Just two days ago I was lamenting to MJD about the lack of activity on the lighting forum.
You were one I was going to contact to ask why you had not appeared for a long time. Best, Phil

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
I was visiting family in Hong Kong years ago and saw something similar. It’s was a fiber optic install Color change and all. It’s was real neat that said it’s not something I’ve done.

Hayduke

LawnSite Senior Member
Jeez that's some weird stuff. Only in the Portland Metro Area. Glad to see you back on the forum Jim. Been perusing the historical archives of Lawnsite for a few years to glean what I can from the Elders in the Industry...Many of your posts have been included in the Encyclopaedia Brittanica Archives

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
Looks too easily to vandalize if it’s outside

kellanv

LawnSite Bronze Member
Fiber would be decently easy but you might be able to use small recessed ala inter-lux, WAC, Hunza etc. or a normal in grade with a mask.