Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
business cards (sealed more deals with these)
professional/commercial equipment
knowing "your numbers"
reliability (being where you say you'll be when you said you'd be there)

thats enough just to get the ball rolling

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
I'll start this one off with:

Always showing up on the appointed day within the best of your abilities.

Most of my customers are picky about the day of the week that I service their lawn. They do understand that sometimes circumstances prevent me from being there on a certain day like rain but they do expect me on "day" otherwise. The reason they expect me there on a certain day is because I have gotten them used to it. It is also the number one complaint I hear about the former LCO.

Doing the job with consistant results.

Customers hate it when one week you do a good job and then next week you skip stuff. If you're going to do a crappy job be consistant about it and vice-a-versa for doing good work. Of course I strive to do the best work around.

Don't look like you're heading for the mosh pit at a Greenday concert.

One of my competitors has a guy working for him that has worn the same ratty, nasty, filthy pair of oversized pants that he has to hold up with one hand all season. The guy even gives me the creeps. Imagine what he does to the customers. In other words: Dress nice in uniform clothes if possible.

Bill customers on a regular basis.

This is the number 2 complaint I receive about former LCOs. People really hate getting one huge bill for 2 and 3 months worth of work right after Christmas. Need I say more?

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
what makes me a professional, by bobby: reliability, doing a good job, reasonable appearance, ability to speak in complete sentances, and use words thats have more than one sylable. and most of all, being knowledgable in alot of different areas. for example, they can ask any question, and i have an answer, and a solution. i know how to identify, and treat most plant , and lawn problems, i can identify any plant, tree, or shrub on thier property. if they ask for advice on a new install, or design, i can usually just come up with something, including a price, in a matter of minutes. you would be surprised guys, how many lawn boys dont even know what nutsedge is, they dont know when to properly treat for grubs, using the different treatments that are available. they dont know that if u spray roundup on the crabgrass in the middle of the lawn, that the crabgrass will live, and the lawn wont. i saw a guy spraying dandelions a few months back, with the famouse home depot gallon size roundup jug. killed half the lawn too. to sum it up, i think a proffesional has an all around knowledge, and is able to provide all phases of property maint, not just cut the lawn. the end

·
Registered
237 Posts
Treating customers like you would want to be treated. The #1 compliment I get from my customers is that I treat them well. I don't make them feel stupid, not matter what they say. If I make a mistake I own up to it right away and do what I can to make it right. Basically, I do what I would like a contractor to do for me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
To me, A propfessional is someone who Listens with both ears, can analyze the situation and make competant decisions. A professional doesn't have to know everything, but he should know where and how to find something if he needs to. A professional should not tell people he knows something when he doesn't, the customer will respect you more in the end if you are totally honest about your knowledge base. A professional never passes up an opportunity to better himself and his operation by reading and listening to others who have been there before.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Longevity (years in business) and reliability speak a lot.

Not showing up on the job with your Summer teeth helps.

Clean, cut appearance (not looking like some rag picker).

Neat and clean business cards, brochures, etc.

Washed company vehicle.

Ability to talk with the customer, not to them.

Being a great listener...you get more out of listening than you do out of talking IMO.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Lic.
Ins.
Education
Reliability
Professional:
Attitude
Appearance
Billing
Service

Hoestly I believe you must have all of these to be even considered a professional.

·
Registered
170 Posts
plain and simple--- Knowledgable in your field to answer most questions thrown at you but professional enough to say " Maam, I don't know the answer to that, but allow me to check some of my sources and get back to you w/ in a day a two".

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.