What mesh inline filter?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ijustwantausername, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep getting small (well water) particles in my 2GPM chemlawn nozzle. Its like sand or something, even after cleaning out the tank they are still there.

I have the stock filter that came with the unit, the mesh has very large holes so I know something smaller should help.

It looks like 50 or 80 mesh would work great but I have been reading that they clog.

It will eventually have pre/post/uflexx and Fe if that helps.

What works for you?

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

City Water....

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL
    I couldn't resist...
    Seriously. I use 80 mesh. Eventually, all screens clog(with normal particulates) if they are doing their job. If done properly, filling with dry materials will not clog the filter abnormally soon. Would you rather take a little more time to fill maybe pre-slurry or would you rather take your gun tip off a million times a day and possibly damage the pump system or at the very least pre maturely wear out the diaphrams

4. MiModernLawn

MiModernLawn LawnSite Member

We found a solution to this problem years ago. We now run a large banjo style filter right before the intake side of the pump to filter out the heavy particles. Then we run an inline filter about 6ft before the spray gun with a fine mesh filter to filter out the fine particle right before they get to the gun.

A filter just like this https://agrimart.net/1-2-poly-line-...35oJ7y8rFw73D1ZBHSkbW2aA8rMkND-q-8aAvmz8P8HAQ

We've been running this setup for 15+ years with no problems. You usually have to clean the inline filter 1-2 times a day if you are spraying all day but its way better than pulling the nozzle off every couple minutes.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I switched to a 325 mesh screen in my filter which was just before the pump. It helped a lot.
    I should point out that I glued (with silicone sealer), a pre filter inside the tank. I used a piece of fiberglass window screen about 10 inches in diameter. It covered the tank outlet.
    At the end of the year--every November--I scooped all the mud and sand residue out of the bottom of the tank. I dissolved fertilizer in the tank. I had more particles than you would have if using liquid products only.

It also helps to use a bigger nozzle. Perhaps use the green nozzle--same gallons and lower drift.

6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I like your way of thinking, but here's another thought. On my drip irrigation systems, I prefer a disc filter to a screen filter. In a filter body of the same size, the disc has MUCH more surface area, and is much less likely to clog.

Something like this is WAY overkill (I'd look around to see if a 1/2" disc filter exists):
    https://www.dripirrigation.com/3-4-y-disc-filter-with-flush-cap-884.html
    But the plus side is that rather than cleaning the inline filter 1-2 times a day, you might be cleaning it once a week.

As for what mesh filter to use, you don't want to go too fine. I would try to choose the coarsest mesh that matches your nozzle. Otherwise you're needlessly trapping particles that are harmless.