1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

What mower did you start with?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by brandman25, Feb 7, 2010.

1. cody890

cody890 LawnSite Member

1999 72" Dixie Chopper. Split the cost with my parents because we have 7 acres. Best mower I've ever had which is why I still have it as a backup.

2. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

husqvarna ez5221 great mower!!!!

3. grasscutter

grasscutter LawnSite Member

I started in elementary school with my parents 20" Craftsman, the type you wind to start. I took some of my earnings and bought a 5hp 25" cut Huffy rider with a 3 speed tranny. A few years later I moved up the biggest mower sears had at the time. It had 12 hp and a 48" mower, sealed beam headlights and tail light and a cigarette lighter. I think it was called a lawn tractor even though it was a Craftsman it lasted almost 20 years. They dont make them like that anymore.

4. OUTLANDER

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

very old snapper push mower w/bag litterally made of cloth..(had to hook up spark plug to start, and unhook to shut off..LOL:realmad:got shocked alot)...a ryobie weed eater w/ this really corny blower attachment thing, but it worked.....at least for a season or so, then all this equipment got tired..LOL

5. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Had a 21 toro personal pace electric blower and trimmer back when i was about 12 and could only do yards i could walk to. Made up a harness to strap the trimmer and edger to the mower and pushed it all over town. Good old days.

6. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I worked for a lawn service back in high school, then after my service with USMC, I worked for one during my college years. I started off my own business with two 52" Scag. I had NO FEAR! lol The experience I had played a big part in that decision.

7. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Montague, NJ

Cub Cadet rzt..yeah its in my signature lol

8. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Bought a JD GS25 and my Lazer in a package deal, traded away my work van for my GMC and I still use my husqvarna homeowner trimmer as my main trimmer

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

52" scathing walk behind.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

a 1990's scag 52" hydro walkbehind with a 17hp kawi pull start. I was 14 when i started cutting lawns so i had to tell my dad when i was out of gas, and i didn't know how to string the trimmer when i first started so i had to have him do that too lol.