1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

What mower did you start with?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by brandman25, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Wiedmann

Wiedmann LawnSite Member

Started with-

Gravely 260z 40 hours
    Exmark 36 inch walk behind 100 hours

[​IMG]

2. WillsLandscape

WillsLandscape LawnSite Member

Just talked to my brother, I offered to buy the Scag, he said he would just let me use it if I wanted. Sweet!

3. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Craftsman 6.5hp 21 inch model #917.377070

This was about 13 years ago and my parents bought it for our domain.

I still own it and cut my yard with yard. I have always hated Sears and everything about Sears, but my Dad thought they were always 'top end' in appliances. He doesn't think that anymore.

I still use the mower to cut the yard. Anything over 4 days growth (fert and irrigation) and it just doesn't have the power. It will keep cutting off.

I need to replace the grassbag and it has several 1 inch tears. Does anyone know of a good patch or have a repair process. Not really looking to spend 8- bucks for a grassbag on a mower that likely will not last much longer

4. Sensation Man

Sensation Man LawnSite Member

I started with a garbage picked no name 21" push mower that I reconditioned. That got me through my first season as a 13 yearold kid. My first purchase was a used 21" Sensation fliphandle and a used Green Machine weed wip. Used to push that rig to all my houses on foot! Then my first true commercial mower was a used classic variable trans Bobcat 36" wth a rebuilt Honda gv400 11hp engine. Does anyone here remember those old Honda engines?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. LHS Lawns

LHS Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

14 years ago I started with a 11hp rear engine Snapper and a Homelite string trimmer.

6. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Dixon Ram Mag 50

7. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Around the age of 13 I would say, I started with my parents push lawn mower, probably 20 inch deck on that beast, and used their trimmer as well. I used a broom when I was done. haha

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

8. scott martoccia

scott martoccia LawnSite Member

Just picked up 2 old sensation decks. Simplest toughest machine ever. During the 70's we used these + international cub cadet for larger areas.

Was wondering if flip handle design is a liability issue today. Knew a guy that chopped his foot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Kenmore and Craftsman used to be hi quality but like everything wal mart they are junk now.

10. MarvelLawnCare

MarvelLawnCare LawnSite Member

2012 Exmark Lazer Z-X series