1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

what mower REALLY Has the best cut quality Cut quality

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by lawnpro@home, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

I would say walker bagging units have the best cut. I’ve had scags. They are a close second. Bobcat are good bang for the buck.

North Idaho Dream likes this.
  2. SignaturesByJAH.LLC

SignaturesByJAH.LLC LawnSite Member

3. SignaturesByJAH.LLC

I have a similar question, this is my third season and it’s like I’m starting all over again. I am upgrading my equipment and I will be purchasing my first big mower what should I be starting with a walk behind or a zero turn which one will give me more versatility and a better cut..? I can’t use anything too wide because some of the yards that I service have fences in the back. I definitely need something with an exceptional mulching abilities... that will save time if I don’t have to bag. I am cutting in the Southeast, Atlanta Georgia. So I need a mower that can cut her grass pretty well. I also don’t cut when its wet. I am a solo crew and occasionally I have a helper. But for the most part I will be by myself. I was looking at the 46” hydro Ariens ikon Kawasaki engined over the hustler... but was also thinking exMark , John Deere, I have some funds but will probably finance, Because most likely I’ll also be purchasing a new blower, a new Weedwhacker as well as a trailer

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Mulching + cut quality means different things from one region to another.
    Ideally & IFF mulching, I'd say you'll need to talk folks into mowing at least 2x/week clear into the heat of Summer. Mulching a weeks worth of fescue here and having it look acceptable is, well, impossible. And if the turf is fertilized, then it's a huge NO. Some will disagree, but to me in my region w/ our regional grasses - the concept of mulching is utopian = a great theory that is unrealistic.

5. OP
    OP
    lawnpro@home

lawnpro@home LawnSite Member

id recommend a stand on, as they dont take up much space tend to cost less, and are better for your back, for a start up, id look at the bradley stand on mowers, they are commercial units with double the power as most commercial mowers but at half there cost, there cut quality is pretty dope too. great customer service and generally a solid machine. there top model, a 52" stander with a 26 hp vanguard, is about 5000$ when not on sale. while in comparison, a scag vride 2 or wright stander with the same deck size comes in at about 8000 when not on sale, though during the spring ive seen them as much as 20% off.
    but... if your mowing wide open places, a zero turn is for you. a good start up ztr is a mid grade mower like the scag patriot, its about 7500$, but they last a long time, OR you can find hundreds of used scag ztrs on ebay or craigslist for as little as 2000. they are usually in good condition and will last at least until the end of the season, but by then you should have made engough to buy a new one. look for one with the velocity plus decks.

6. SignaturesByJAH.LLC

Thanks a lot... I really appreciate all the advice...
    stand-on or a ztr Ohk I’m narrowing down the selection, I had checked out a couple stand-ons a few months ago too when I was getting ready for this season... I’m going to check into getting a more slim fit tho... cause I need to navigate their fences and stuff...

7. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

if your are mowing nice properties and considering mulching, be sure to give exmark a look. they are, in my opinion, one of the better cutting decks, and definitely the best mulching decks. if your properties are mostly flat and easy mowing, stand on mowers are awesome, if you have hills or ditches or irregular yards, walk behinds are a much better choice. a walk behind mower you can pretty much mow any kind of property, a stand on or ride on limits what properties you can do. if doing smaller properties and physically able to, i like a walk behind with sulky. these days ferris mowers are my choice. the z2 and a fw35. look at your perspective properties and decide what you need.

8. SignaturesByJAH.LLC

Ohk, I’m goin to look at the Ferris’ and the ExMark, I think when I go to the dealership I’ll be able to try out a few mowers -like a test drive... cause I’m really lost and clueless...as to which one to go with for my main mower... cause I haven’t tried any of these really... I’ll keep my Honda push mower/self propelled and all tht... for those tight areas with the weedeater...

9. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Senior Member

The smaller the deck, the better the cut quality usually. If the grass isn't overgrown or wet, a Snapper high vac trim mower creates the best cut from what I've seen.

That's probably not the answer you're looking for though.

10. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Signatures:
    You said you don’t mow when it’s wet. If that’s the case, anything will be just fine. I like scag and Deere, however the Wright stander b has received a lot of nice write ups on here lately (I have zero experience) Bang for the buck goes a long way with them. I believe two users (cam and rippinryno) just purchased recently, might reach out to them. I’m not sure if i spelled correctly the usernames.
    If it was me: Vride for a stander. Deere or scag for ztr.