1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

what mower REALLY Has the best cut quality Cut quality

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by lawnpro@home, Feb 3, 2020.

1. SignaturesByJAH.LLC

SignaturesByJAH.LLC LawnSite Member

Thanks, I appreciate it... I’m getting the general idea... and I believe anything commercial will work just fine... I’ll figure out how to use it, and it’ll fit in fine and anyone of these mowers will help to accelerate my speed and productivity so tht I can cut more efficiently... and effortlessly... but I’m still on the fence... I think I’m leaning towards a ztr... only because I’m runnin a solo thing and I’m standing up with the weedwhacker and the blower... I might as well sit down while I mow... maybe tht might offer some form of balance

2. SignaturesByJAH.LLC

It’s worth looking into, I’ve been receiving so much advice from you guys... I really appreciate it... I just don’t kno where to start... but I am starting to get it... I am going to go with a smaller deck tho, for sure... 36” and I’m leaning towards a ztr... so I’ll check out a snapper

3. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Senior Member

A Snapper Hi-vac is a trim mower. It's a 21" deck. I don't use anyting bigger than trim mowers for my business, but I specialize in small urban properties. You're going to want at least a 36" deck for most markets, but having a trim mower on the trailer as well is still a good idea.

4. SignaturesByJAH.LLC

Oh ohk, I Hav a bunch of 21” push mowers rght now, nothin really commercial but maybe later on in the season if I need to I’ll upgrade to something like the trim mower... thank you

5. OP
    OP
    lawnpro@home

lawnpro@home LawnSite Member

i would run as far way as possible from 36" sit down mowers, as they tend to be under powered and overpriced, and they have horrible hill stability, a general rule of thumb is 42-66";any larger decks will scalp more, so only use a 72" for maybe over 3 acres and only if its super flat. a 42" would work for most start ups like you, its very compact, but there are not many commercial units with a 42" deck. the golden deck size for you would be a nice 48". its wide enough to finish a good sized property, while being compact enough to get into most gates, for really small lawns or very small gates, just buy a run of the mill toro recycler to tag along with it. you cant go wrong with this setup. check out these model below:

scag freedom z 48"( i dont trust kholer engines, but they should last awhile)
    bobcat xrz pro 48"
    wright zto 48"
    kubota z400 48"

All these mowers are at 8000$ and under, but if you have a really small budget, you can buy any 48" ztr at your local lows or home depot, and in good care, should last to the end of the season at least. look at the arians ikon if this is your case

6. danothemano

danothemano LawnSite Senior Member

Toro turfmaster

7. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

For $8000 go Ferris with Suspension. Probably get the new IS 800 model or the IS700. Built like tanks and cut well. I have an IS600-48" and it is a badass mower... Will outlast me. Look at new left overs. They are out there...