1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What Mower to Buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RocketLab, Mar 11, 2012.

1. RocketLab

RocketLab LawnSite Member

Currently running about 42 lawns ranging from 6500 sq ft to 1/2 to 3/4 acre lot sizes. Of the large lawns I have 4 that I can fit any size mower with the rest restricted to a 32 inch due to fence gates. I want to actively go after larger lawns this season but the 32 inch is not efficient on these.

I need to buy used with a max expenditure of $4500. Trying to decide between a used 48 inch w/b for around $2k leaving me more money for upgrades of other equipment as well as marketing or a 48" stander or zero turn rider. I like the idea of a stander for the customer perception of less impact on the lawn and a bad back but a zero turn may give me more options to offer aeration, leaf removal, hauling turf dressing, etc...

Most lawns are bermuda/st augustine with some undulations but mostly flat. Not a lot of rain in this part of Texas normally so thick wet grass is not encountered except for this time of year.

Locally for sale there is

2005 Toro Z Master with under 100 hours 19hp Kaw for $4200
    Scag 48 inch belt drive 48 inch approx 50 hours 17 hp Kaw for $2500
    Gravely 48 inch Belt drive 48 inch under 100 hrs 15hp Kaw for $2000
    2008 Scag 52" 26hp Briggs under 100 hrs for $4200. uneasy about the briggs but like the mower.

No standers locally for sale currently unless I go to a new Everride. Which in that case there is a 52/23hp Everride new for $4799.

Trying to get my thoughts focused on one style of mower instead of all over the place. Any advice appreciated.

2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer selling a 30hp kohler command 48"and mulch kit with 100 hours for $4300, it would be a nice option for you, but its in ne tx....lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RocketLab

RocketLab LawnSite Member

Yes, 7 hour drive one way.

4. mmoloch

mmoloch LawnSite Member

I just bought a brand new 2012 Exmark Quest S-Series, 50" fabricated/welded deck. You may look into that. Excellent mower for the price.