What must you be licensed for?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cutcutcut, Jun 14, 2010.

  1. cutcutcut

    cutcutcut LawnSite Member
    Messages: 12

    I'm starting to branch out into landscape installs/design and need to know the rules. Do you need any special licensing to do residential landscape installs? what about design? I wont be dealing with any hardscapes maybe just some small walls and rock gardens.


  2. cutcutcut

    cutcutcut LawnSite Member
    Messages: 12

    No one?

    I think a simpler form of my question would be do I need to have any special licenses or be a landscape architect to do residential landscape design and installation, no hardscapes.
  3. yamadooski

    yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 434

    I too was thinking of branching out and doing Pool Service. I mean how hard can that be?
    Do I need a lic? or chemical lic?
  4. AGLA

    AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,774

    You need a license to call yourself a landscape architect or what you do as being "landscape architecture" in every state, but not D.C.

    You need a state license to apply pesticides (weed killer, insecticides,...)

    Most things are regulated at the state or local level, so people in other states are not likely to respond.

    Some states require contractors licenses to install landscapes while most do not.

    A few states limit who can design landscapes, but most do not.

    Re-selling of plants is regulated in many states and across state lines.

    You may need a low voltage electric license for lighting or irrigation.

    You may need some type of plumbing license for installing irrigation.

    Again, these are state and in some cases locally regulated issues. Yo need to look into it locally.
  5. NarNar

    NarNar LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 489

    If you are doing municipality work, you will definitely have to obtain a LS architect licesense. I believe, that rule applies to commercial developement also (At least here in TX).

    Best to check with your local government and federal government regulations (not all local government communicate with state and federal...as this is the case with TX).

    I would suggest not passing yourself off as a landscape architecht just to get the job. In order to obtain that title you have to pass 3-5 (depending on which state you live in). Imagine taking the bar that many times just to practice law. Landscape Architechts deserve that title and the work that comes along with it.

    NOTE: NarNar IS NOT a landscape architecht. I just know how difficult it can be to obtain that status.
  6. AGLA

    AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,774

    AGLA is a licensed landscape architect and I appreciate that someone understands that it is a license that has a great deal of requirements and not just a fancy name for landscape designer that anyone can use.
  7. andyslawncare

    andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 812

    You have no right to call yourself a landscape architect unless you have a degree and are certified in that field, until that day comes (if you choose to go that route), you are to refer yourself as a landscape designer...and you need nothing else than a business license and maybe insurance to do this. You will then list your name "joe blah LA" Your state isn't listed, but here in Georgia, you need to have business license, CLD if your equip is over limit, DOT inspection and sticker if your gross weight is over 10,000 lbs, Soil and Water Conservation certified (call county extension for more info. You have to take a class and be re-certified every few years), always have liability insurance, if you build a wall over 4' tall you must have a Registered Landscape Architect's Approval and Seal on your design plan. Check with your local dept of agriculture, state university, or county extension office....
  8. AGLA

    AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,774

    If you build a wall over 4' you'll need a structural engineer's seal on the plans in most states.

    A lot of states and municipalities do not require a landscape architect's plans for their projects. Many state that do, but follow it with enough exemptions that pretty much say "or anyone else".

    Again, almost all licensing and licensing requirements are done at the state and local level and vary widely. Anyone should check with their town or city hall to start with. The Small Business Administration is a good resource to talk to as well.

Share This Page