what new equipment/ how much for 8 acres?

grassisgreener

LawnSite Member
So I am at the point right now where I have hit 35 full service lawn clients (mowing, mulching, fertilizer, etc.) with a couple of them being church properties. i have a Chevy 1500, 18' trailer, 2007 Huster 52" Mini-Z, Exmark 48" walk behind, and all the weed whackers, blowers, chain saws to go with it.
Over this winter here in Notrthern Delaware (at 71" of snow as of Valentines Day) I have obtained a handful of properties that would legitimately warrant bigger equipment. The first an 8 acre multimillion dollar estate. 1) what do I charge for a property of that size? 2) what would you guys suggest in my next upgrade in equipment? Truck with dump body? bigger mower? which mower? Your thoughts and advice are appreciated!
thanks!

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thats a pretty open ended question...do you have the need for a dump truck? You mentioned nothing about hauling off or debris etc....its not smart to buy another mower just for the chance of one account and with a 52 and 48, 8 acres is doable in a few hours. Bid the 8 acre property just like you know how to bid the other smaller ones and remember that you can cut a slight deal since you'd be there awhile. Solo?

KPW LawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
You have to remeber DE dosent get snow like we have this year too often.

OP
G

grassisgreener

LawnSite Member
True about the snow. We normally get this much snow.
As far as the need for a truck with a dump bed, it would be very helpful. I have enough accounts to keep me busy by myself for a FULL 2 days. The other days I fill with mulching, sod, pavers, fertilizing, full on landscaping projects, ponds, etc. I have a couple of accounts where I have had from 30-50 yards of mulch delivered in someones driveway. As far as bidding the big 8 acre property, i think a good rate for this area (as you guys would know) is about $60 an hour per machine. Granted those machines might be 60" mowers.

Another issue I am having is that i seem to have clumping issues with my mini-z. its only 19hp and leaves clumps of grass in the spring growing season.

Thoughts?

KPW LawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
I mean it would be nice to get your self a reg cab 4x4 with a dump bed and maybe get a plow.

Top Forums