Lawn Care Forum banner

What nozzles to use on my PG magnum to acheive 1/2 gal per K?

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Jason Rose 
#1 ·
I also have the dual nozzle boom on my machine, the one that Ross Lazarov builds.

After using it last year I can conclude that it DOES do a better job with weed control than the single center nozzle, but I still don't like the idea of applying at 28 to 30 ounces per 1,000. I feel I could attain even better coverage and control if I was applying at about 64 ounces per K. Plus the mix wouldn't be as 'hot'. I'm already using a nurse tank to refill so filling more often really isn't a big issue. I'd rather have more consistant coverage.

What nozzles do you recommend, model specific, to get the rate I'm looking for, plus decent wind resistance and coverage.

Also, Ross, if you see this I'd be interested in your added trim nozzle set-up for the boom as well.

#3 ·
The amount of water should not make much difference. Aircraft commonly spray at 5 gal per acre. Do a few tests with water on concrete to see if you are getting good even coverage with no gaps, full width. And make sure your coverage still looks good at full speed. Make sure you are calibrated to apply full strength.(Don't use the minimum rate.) Remember dandelions are easier to kill than spurge, oxalis and ground ivy.

#4 ·
Yes I'm calibrated, I looked at my notes, as I hod forgotten the exact number, but with the nozzles I have I'm only applying at 24 ounces per K. The pattern is as good as I can get it. I just want more water per K. It wets the leaves decent, but at that low of a rate it looks ok on concrete but on grass that's 3 to 4 inches tall it's just not enough to wet the turf/weeds that are down lower in the canopy. If I could double+ the amount of liquid I'm putting down it should double the amount of surface I'm able to wet at the same speed.

I've done the math and crunched numbers many times... I'll contact Ross again and see if he can get the nozzles I need.

#5 ·
Good Jason. Careful calibration is important. Are your filters clean? Is your pump working good? What is the output without nozzle? What kind of pressure do you have?
So at 24 ounces per K, if you apply 1.5 ounces of herbicide per K, then you need 5.3 ounces herb per gallon or about 64 ounces per 12 gallon tank--is that about right?
If you cover 4000 sqfeet per minute and use .1875 gals per K, you should run out at 16 minutes.

#6 ·
Filters and screens aren't the issue. the nozzles are smaller and don't put out he volum I'd like. I can clean filters all day and not change the fact that the nozzles I have currently are smaller than what I'd like.

My question was what specific nozzle would I need, for a dual nozzle set up on a permagreen magnum, to acheive roughly 64 ounces per 1,000. I *thought* I'd find someone on this site that has changed nozzles on their PG to apply at a higher volume as well. Also if someone had found a "better" nozzle.

I believe the PG is set up to put out 30psi. The max flow GPM I'm really unsure of, I don't know what the pump is rated for.

Riggle, you math is off. For a 1.5 oz. per K rate @ 24 ounces of carrier per K you need 8 ounces of chemical per gallon, or 96 ounces for the full 12 gallon tank.

#7 ·
My other issue with the PG is that I deal with a lot of "mixed" lawns. Bermuda is just a fact of life here where I'm at in Kansas. If the customer dosn't want to kill it off it just becomes part of the lawn. So, the problem is, spraying broadleaf weed control on a "mixed" lawn like this. An early spring app while the bermuda is still dormant is fine, but there's very often the need to spray later in the spring after the bermuda has greened up. The super hot mix, at 24 oz. per K NUKES bermuda! I know I can spray over bermuda with the same 1.5 oz. rate with the hose and not do that kind of damage, spraying at 1.5 gal per K. Soooo, my thought was if I could try a higher app rate, like the 1/2 gal. per K with the PG I may lessen the damage to the bermuda. Also the bonous is that it would probably give better weed control all around beause it would better cover the weeds.

#8 ·
Whoops--Jason your math is correct! 96 ounces per tank, if you are applying 24 ounces of carrier per K. Sorry, I don't have experience changing nozzles. Which exact nozzle are you using? Red? White? It is best to find gpm flow rate with no nozzle. If its a pump problem or slipping belt, a bigger nozzle might be no help. Make sure that pressure regulator valve in the bottom of the tank is working correctly, and not dumping too much flow back into the tank. We don't have hardly any Bermuda up here--so your point("NUKES Bermuda") is well taken. More carrier would probably be helpful. Maybe the Turbo Floodjet would fit your needs. I am not familiar with the dual nozzle setup you describe that Ross Lazarov builds. Wish I could help more.
http://www.teejet.com/english/home/...oodjet--extra-wide-angle-flat-spray-tips.aspx

#9 ·
If I could double+ the amount of liquid I'm putting down it should double the amount of surface I'm able to wet at the same speed.

Hi Jason,
You can switch nozzles, the pump will handle that. If you are looking to "double the liquid" you could start with the white TeeJet turbo floodjets.

http://www.teejet.com/media/c2d13dca-93ba-4e4b-a2c9-70737e951943-CAT50-US_LoRes_p023.pdf

http://www.teejet.com/english/home/...rbo-floodjet--wide-angle-flat-spray-tips.aspx

#10 ·
Hi Jason,
You can switch nozzles, the pump will handle that. If you are looking to "double the liquid" you could start with the white TeeJet turbo floodjets.

http://www.teejet.com/media/c2d13dca-93ba-4e4b-a2c9-70737e951943-CAT50-US_LoRes_p023.pdf

http://www.teejet.com/english/home/...rbo-floodjet--wide-angle-flat-spray-tips.aspx
Ok, I'll have to trek out to the shop in a bit... Isn't the "standard" center high gear nozzle the white? Since with the boom you just split the volume in half, correct? So If I'd use 2 of the standard nozzles, thinking white is correct, then I will end up where I want to be.

Also want to check your website! The trim nozzle idea is great. I usualy use one side of the boom to "trim" with along walks and structues, where the weeds usually are, but that type of nozzle gets more on what I'm driving next to than I'd like.

#11 ·
The stock low is grey.
The stock high is blue.
you can use 2 grey or blue nozzles if you want. It will just increase the amount of liquid you use that much more. One thing you will notice with the larger nozzles is the spray pattern will become more spattered or blotchy.

And yes, the trim nozzle is sweet. Its very accurate along beds.

call me if you need any help.

#12 ·
Thanks. Yeah I kinda forgot how corse the spray is from the blue nozzle, and if I'm reading that tee jet chart correctly, the white is actually "extremely coarse" where the blue is just "coarse". Soooo I'll have to factor that in to my decision as well. I think the finer spray certinaly does a better job, though more prone to drift I suppose...

Is there other types of nozzles you have messed with? Air Induction or things like that?

I sent you a message via your website.

#13 ·
Their damn 10 minute time limit to edit your own posts is crazy stupid...

Anyway... I noticed that the turbo floodjet nozzles aren't even rated for contact applications. I know the argument is that broadleaf herbicdes are systmic, but you have to get them on the plant and cover the plant fairly well for enough ai to be taken into the plant to actually kill it.

Problem is, the other nozzles, like the air induction nozzles, use a different nozzle orientation. I don't think they would work on the PG...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.