• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

What order would you put these in

Waterlogged

LawnSite Senior Member
Here are some aspects that affect water use in sprinkler systems. What order would you put them in, listing the most effective first

Design of system
ET timers
Soil condition
Audit
Less grass
Native Plants
Visual Inspection/Per month
Schedule

If I have missed any please add them. I'm just curious my opinions have changed over the years. :waving:

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
Here are some aspects that affect water use in sprinkler systems. What order would you put them in, listing the most effective first

Design of system
ET timers
Soil condition
Audit
Less grass
Native Plants
Schedule

If I have missed any please add them. I'm just curious my opinions have changed over the years. :waving:
OK, I'll bite.

First ... Landscape Design would include native plants, turf, and soils.

Second ... Irrigation System Design would include ET Timers, Quality (of materials used), and soils

Third ... Irrigation & Soil Management would include audit, scheduling, performance evaluation, and soils

So with that in mind .... and a minor wording change:

Factors that impact water use in the landscape are (in order of importance):

1. Landscape Design
  2. Irrigation System Design
  3. Irrigation & Soil Management

Note: One could easily make an argument for 2 & 3 to be equally weighted, or even swap the two.

Inspired

LawnSite Senior Member

Design of system
ET timers
Soil condition
Audit
Less grass
Native Plants
Schedule

Good design that includes native plants.

Soil amendments would come after that in this area anyway.

Et or soil moisture control system as long as someone knowledgable watches over it.

After the installation, nothing can replace regular inspections and schedule adjustments that respond to plants needs.