1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What percent of your estimates are accepted?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RYAN, Nov 21, 2001.

1. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what percent of your estimates are accepted. I seem to get about 75 to 80% which I think seems high although my prices are pretty much average for my area I think. I have heard varying opinions on what the percentage should be. I was just wondering what you guys thought.

2. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

Although I try to prequalify prospects, I close less than half the jobs I submit bids for. If a potential client is price shopping or interested in the lowest price I won't play.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I think this is a good question. how ever my .02 is we should take into account the source of the customer. If it is a word of mounth or upgrade for our customer then 80% is a fair expectation. If this is customer who called us from the phone book or advertisement then 50-60% is expected. If you are getting a greater percenage then your priced to low. Like everyone I try and cual the price shopper on the phone.

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am with ric on this one. If i have an add on service for an existing customer or a refferal I normally get it no problem.

Its only the new customers that are around 50%

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I close on about 60%

6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone closing over 50% of estimates can afford to raise prices, do a few more estimates and make more money.

With the amount of quality competition your taking orders based on price, your not "selling".

7. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

i write a good many more estimates than i get, if i get 40% i would think thats great, i'm talking new biz here, referals i agree with everybody else, you get a good % of those. just another reason to always do a quality job, your already one step ahead of the guy they know nothing about. nothing like a good recomendation. if i was getting 75-80% on new biz i'd be covered up, and i would also believe my price was a little on the low side. i don't know about your area but like ric said the price shoppers are everwhere, just like the old farts around here with a 42" murray rider, electric weed eater, POS push mower, there everywhere . and its hard to beat there prices, heck i'm not even gonna try, if i was gonna work for free i'd do it for family and thats about it.

ya'll have a good one, keith

8. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy LawnSite Bronze Member

On cold leads, meaning straight from the yellows, the paper, any other ads I don't think you should be closing more than about 10%. I think if you are you are too low.

A wise contractor once told me that. I always thought I was a good salesman, but he was right, I was doing a lot of work for not enough money and it caught up to me. Now I will let the guys stay home before I will do unprofitable work, within reason.

9. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

my dad told me about the same thing years ago, i think he said around 20%, like maybe 18 or 22 i really can't remember but i feel the same way you do.......also i now alot of times as soon as i talk to the person if it was a dry run or not, there more worried about the price than if i edge or blow off there drive, or if i am lic and ins.

keith

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Grass cutting -- 75%
    Leaves --------- 50%
    Aeration ------- 90%
    Fescue --------- 90%
    Landscaping ---- 40%