1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

What qualifies you as "Licensed"?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Jan 15, 2007.

  1. echeandia

    echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,131

    All the time you see claims of "Licensed and Insured" on business cards. When I see insured on your card I take that to mean that you carry liability insurance. But what does licensed mean? Landscapers contracting license from the state? Business license from the county? Here in Virginia you need a license to spread fertilizer and a different one to spray pesticides. Does the "Licensed" mean you have one of these?
  2. LB1234

    LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,208

    Technically, to find out what it means you need to obtain a certificate of insurance which will state exactly what it means.
  3. GreenN'Clean

    GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,512

    Business License from the state showing your a legit company and Insurance is carrying Insurance in case you do damage to the customer's property like if your cutting grass and a rock flies through there window then the Business is covered
  4. ozd12005

    ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 342

    You may also need a working permit per city/town that you do work in
  5. lawnpro724

    lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,201

    Depends on what part of the country you live in. Here in IL licensed & Insured means you carry liability insurance and have a commercial applicators license.
  6. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    Yep,...the only licensing we have here is through the Dept of Agriculture. ur DBA (assumed name) is NOT a license.
  7. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    In the State of UT it means you currently possess a "business license" from the city in which your business resides which enables you to perform your type of work within the State.

    If you are applying fertilizers & pesticides then licensed would also mean you are "certified" to perform that task as well.

    Insured would indicate that your company carries some type of liability insurance.
  8. Stillwater

    Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,889

    when you get a licence

Share This Page