What service or tools have you dropped from service?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by No gloves, Nov 21, 2019.

1. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Member

What services have you dropped over the years that have benefited you?what tools?for me I'm very happy I quit using a ladder.anything I can't get with pole saw is tree services problem.no more worrying about,"can you just stand on the very top and stretch as high as you can to saw off that tiny twig".interested to hear from you all.thank you

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Ladder and brush hog.

I have a really nice ladder but I don’t miss it being on the truck at all.

Brush hogging is just such a low margin that I quit offering it. There are occasions when I’ll use it but not a regular service. I only use it on cleanups now and do not actively market that service.

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dropped mowing except 4 properties all these properties are $400.00 a cut plus so I make good money there but no mowing tons of residential accounts having to deal with locked gates, picking up checks at odd times or waiting to get paid. Less of a commitment having to show up at little suzies on Wednesday after 1pm ect. And it’s low margin except for the 4 properties I still cut.

4. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried pressure washing for awhile. In one specfic neighborhood another company came in and was charging 1/2 what I was.

Limbourg and jonthepain like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    No gloves

yea don't understand why people put up with ladders

6. OP
    OP
    No gloves

So what's the majority of your work?

7. OP
    OP
    No gloves

I done it twice.once it took to long,other time people wanted me to blast the paint job on their house. I saw paint coming off and they didn't seem to care,but home paint jobs are a pain and expensive so I'd rather not pressure wash.

8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

I've stop doing overgrown clean ups. It's always a pita and the clients are usually flakes.

Hardscapes always end up being more work then what I want to do solo and take me to long to do.

9. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

Fine gardening for estates, tearing out old landscapes and installing new ones, hardscaping, and tree work.

10. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

^ aka where the money is! Same here I am subbing out all mowing for 2020 and focusing on putting the skid and mini skid to work. Buying a mini ex this spring

KUMA01 likes this.