What should I charge for a leaf removal job of this size

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Leaf Buritto--looks like it would work.
And one more dumb idea. Quote your price as 10 cents a pound.
For each tarp-load, tie the corners together and pick up the load--step on a scales and write down the weight after subtracting your weight.
This is fair to the customer and fair to you. Price depends on the quantity of leaves.
Pull the tarps onto the trailer--when you have about 6 to 10 layers, head for your disposal site. Then slide them off and flip upside down.

The top layer must be flipped upside down so the leaves do not blow off (much) when hauling to disposal site.

If you want to tie the corners of the tarps together to form loose bags--this might work.
Good luck squeezing your mower onto the trailer.

Bfish

LawnSite Member
Why not double your price and get $150, at the very least? You know they don’t want to do it themselves, and chances are they’d see $150 as a bargain.

No need. My price has good margin already, even with a good cushion. A decent/fair price vs exorbitant will make it to easier to up sale and create organic leads (ie neighbors and friends).

I've only used a mower once all week. Why would anyone even mow when the grass isn't growing, lol.

You use the mower to mulch the leaves. Reason is that it is easier and faster than hauling off the leaves, plus it has soil benefits.

FitzRightYardServices

LawnSite Bronze Member
From the replies it appears that they want you to scam the customers and milk em for all you can. That's up to you and if that's what it takes to stay in business well.....
If you give a customer a quote they are not obligated to accept it. I have no clue what others charge for leaf clean ups in my area. I simply look at the leaves, size of yard, equipment needed and I figure out a price.

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
wow

I'd have a hard time getting someone to hand me 225 bucks for a 20 minute cut/and cleanup!

that's a great gig if you can get it.

It's about having the right equipment for the job. I don't use rakes. In the clients mind it's worth it because to them it's a big grueling job that could take them a full day, while achieving worse results. They don't have the tools, experience, nor, probably the time.

Last edited:

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
wow

I'd have a hard time getting someone to hand me 225 bucks for a 20 minute cut/and cleanup!

that's a great gig if you can get it.

Also, not trying to be condescending, but that kind of mindset devalues the industry.

I mean if you take your truck to a reputable shop to get repairs, and the book time is 9 hours but the mechanic does it in 2 because he has great knowledge and uses the best [most expensive] tools, does he charge you only 2 hours? No. He charges you book time.

Just because it takes a guy 20 minutes doesn't mean the client get's a discount. They are not just paying for my time, they are paying for my years of experience and high quality results. Getting the job done faster than the next guy doesn't mean he's stiffing the customer or cutting corners; it means he may have more experience and better tools for the job. We shouldn't penalize a guy for that.

Last edited:

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
When I first started leaf cleanups I owned a BR340 backpack and a 48" WB mower. If a cleanup would take me 8 hours, I might get $275. That is all the market would bear.

Fast forward a few years, add a helper, 2 walk-behind blowers, 2 BR600 backpacks, a ZTR with a vac/bagger, and we can knock out that same job in 90 minutes. What is the charge? $275 (in reality probably $300 because it is a few years later).

The customer is happy either way. The results are the same to him. He may be happier since the noise is over in 90 minutes.

I'm happy because I can do 4 similar jobs in 1 day. Revenue is $1100, pay the helper $160 for the day, and I get $940.

Should I drop my price to the customer? Hell no.

MOW ED

LawnSite Fanatic
I have been doing this since 1995. On this forum since before it was this forum but dont post much anymore. The same stuff happens today as it did in 1995 BUT I am much wiser now. Now I will never give a guy a price for a job on the forum. Its not fair to the person. Some people are full timers, some part timers, some do cash, some get paid by check or venmo or paypal or Square. Its is difficult for me to tell you what to charge to make money (the reason most of us are doing this I assume) A guy working for cash wont pay taxes and may not have insurance. Not an accusation but a truth. I dont begrudge anyone for how they do business. To each his own. A guy with a crew has a ton of expenses and should know what it takes to make payroll and profit. A guy using a rake is doing manual labor and is limited in what he can do by his own physical ability. Without knowing what it costs for him to get out the door to a jobsite is a guess at best. As seen here alot of pricing is also what the market accepts where you are working. I have talked and read posts from people all over the country (also out of the US) and know this is a real thing. I know what we do can be done by anyone that can physically do it, the professional part of this work comes in when you sit down and take a truthful look at what it takes YOU to do this work for a profit. I will miss something if I try and list all the factors but they are necessary to know if you want to bid work and get it not because you are cheap but because you are competitive and can offer the customer a service that you can do at a profit. I am certainly not the be all or know all of business but I am still a solo operator making a profit after 26 years of learning how to do it. Sorry for the long read but I hope it give s little food for thought and introspection. Good luck on leaf season. The frost is gone and I have one day left this year. Cheers.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Thats not a very big property. Leaf cover isn't bad. Blow the ones in the back lawn to the woodline. Blow out the shrubs and beds, mulch right into the lawn with good blades. Mow whole lawn. I'd be $100 to $125 for that. But to each his own.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Leaf Buritto--looks like it would work.
And one more dumb idea. Quote your price as 10 cents a pound.
For each tarp-load, tie the corners together and pick up the load--step on a scales and write down the weight after subtracting your weight.
Don't forget to hose the leaves in the tarp to add weight! ;)

ShowCaseLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have been doing this since 1995. On this forum since before it was this forum but dont post much anymore. The same stuff happens today as it did in 1995 BUT I am much wiser now. Now I will never give a guy a price for a job on the forum. Its not fair to the person. Some people are full timers, some part timers, some do cash, some get paid by check or venmo or paypal or Square. Its is difficult for me to tell you what to charge to make money (the reason most of us are doing this I assume) A guy working for cash wont pay taxes and may not have insurance. Not an accusation but a truth. I dont begrudge anyone for how they do business. To each his own. A guy with a crew has a ton of expenses and should know what it takes to make payroll and profit. A guy using a rake is doing manual labor and is limited in what he can do by his own physical ability. Without knowing what it costs for him to get out the door to a jobsite is a guess at best. As seen here alot of pricing is also what the market accepts where you are working. I have talked and read posts from people all over the country (also out of the US) and know this is a real thing. I know what we do can be done by anyone that can physically do it, the professional part of this work comes in when you sit down and take a truthful look at what it takes YOU to do this work for a profit. I will miss something if I try and list all the factors but they are necessary to know if you want to bid work and get it not because you are cheap but because you are competitive and can offer the customer a service that you can do at a profit. I am certainly not the be all or know all of business but I am still a solo operator making a profit after 26 years of learning how to do it. Sorry for the long read but I hope it give s little food for thought and introspection. Good luck on leaf season. The frost is gone and I have one day left this year. Cheers.
1995 lawn mow jobs $20 bucks
2021 lawn mow jobs $25 bucks
2050 lawn mow jobs $30 bucks

it’s easy folks nothing really changes!

Top Forums