Lawn Care Forum banner

what size bobcat do I need?

24K views 59 replies 22 participants last post by  Scag48 
#1 ·
I am looking for the smallest (lightest weight) Bobcat that will unload pallets of fertilizer/salt off of semi's. I can add rear weight for balance with no problem, so I need to know what size machine I can get away with.

The dealer is pushing an s205 but I think that is to big. One guy told me his s160 will lift a pallet of fert ok. Whats you opinon based on your experience as to the smallest size machine I can get.

I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible as to the cost of the machine and being able to haul it on a 7000 lb trailor. I am hoping not having to buy a bigger trailer for the machine.
thanks

#53 ·
Actually a 95XT with a counter weight kit would handle the 4K load just fine. With the counter weight they have a roc of 3600 pounds. Without the counter weight it is still 3150 which if your even somewhat careful can easily handle 4K. There isn't a more heavy duty, heavy lift skid steer on the market. Downside is they are expensive and I wouldn't say they are cheap on fuel, but if you need to move material they are one of the best on the market.

#57 ·
Yeah, a Cat 904B or a 906 is what I'm thinking. There are a few advantages to a compact loader vs. a skid steer if you're doing alot of lifting. Since the machine is articulated, there's no chance of side bucking when turning with a large amount of weight on asphalt. That makes it alot easier to safely manage the load and keep the material from shifting off the pallet.

#58 ·
You guys have to remember articulated loaders are not easy to haul because they are heavy plus they are long. If you want a good articulated loader then you look at Waldon I meantioned it a few times before. They are a well built loader and built in a way they are easy to repair and use pretty much common parts you can get anywhere.

If I was looking for a decent rough terrian forklift Waldon would be it if I couldn't get that it would be a 580 or 590 Case backhoe with forks.

#59 ·
JD sealed their fate with me when I used a 270. What a piece of crap. The hydraulics were the worst I have ever seen. On top of all this the motor blew up on this particular machine @2000 hours for no particular reason and this machine leaked more fluid than exxon valdeez (sp). JD has to realize that by not moving the lift arms forward slightly makes it harder to put a load to the center of a truck. The JD skid is a real treat trying to load 5000# logs over the axles on a truck...it can't get close enough to the truck with out hitting the rims. If you're loading a nice truck with alcoa rims you better be careful or you'll have a mad truck driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.