1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What size deck to get for walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEUSWEDE, May 14, 2003.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have figured out I am going to get an EXMARK or SCAG in the future and I know I want a hydro powered one. Now I just need to figure out what size deck to get. I was thinking of getting a 48" deck but was thinking I am gonna get a 21" clean up mower so should I get a 52"?? what does everyone think? This is going to be a walk behind and be my main mower when I start my business in like a year.
    let me know
    Dylan

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say that a 52" deck is pretty much an all around perfect deck size for just about any yard that doesn't have gates to worry about. I have a 52 Husqvarna ZTR and a 61" Wright Sentar for bigger properties. Getting a Hydro is a wise decision as it will operate well even in wet conditions.

3. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

go with the 52" deck

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

the bigger the better, unless its your only machine and you've got some gated yards

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Biggest you can get into your smallest gated yard.

6. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

GET A 52"

7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

48" in case u ever have to get in ur truk.

8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) 52" try a stay away from those tiny gates, Ive had 4 clients put up big enough gate where i could use my Z's........Marks Mowing Service

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

52" without a doubt. We can use ours at almost 99% of our residential lots.

10. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

The 52 is a great width. I use it in some tight places without a problem. I have an Exmark, so the deck is offset to allow close up trimming. Take Care----Mike