• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

What size mower deck?

lawnboy349

LawnSite Member
I am currently looking into buying a new mower. I was wondering what size of deck I should get though. I'm debating between the 42" and 46" or maybe a 48". My largest property is 1.5 acres and then I have 2 more that are 16,000 square feet and another 10,000 sqaure foot lawn. These are the primary ones I will be using the rider on. The rest are less than 5,000 sq. feet. Thanks for the input.

razor1

LawnSite Bronze Member
Get the largest mower that you can fit. (my opinion)
I just bought a 72" Lazer and it goes almost everywhere my 60" Lazer does.

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
Get the largest mower that you can fit. (my opinion)
I just bought a 72" Lazer and it goes almost everywhere my 60" Lazer does.
I agree.

I use a 60" everywhere I can and would love to have a 72" to go with it instead of a 52"... LOL...

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
I would consider what you are using now, and go for a noticeable but gradual increase so that you can get used to the bigger deck.

Yes, the 60" is great, but before that the biggest deck I had was a 48" and the only reason I do ok on the 60 is because it's a float, but most decks don't flex and I find myself keeping the cut height at 3.25" vs. 3 on the 60"...

But if you're getting a rider, something more than a 48 because for all it's worth you can get 48 in a Wb, and I'd be for having at least a half dozen acre+ lots and more money than sense, or a dozen or better acre+ lots, but that's just me.