What size skid steer for snow.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by WLC47, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLC47

WLC47 LawnSite Member

Im looking into buying a skid steer for snow and was wondering if any of you more experienced members could give me some tips on what I need to look for when buying. It seems like just like mowers at 2000 hrs you need to worry about hydros but is there anything else? And is there a brand that stands out in quality? Ive used bob cat before and those seemed good

2. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you want to spend?

I just bought a Case SV280 with 116 hours on it from Arctic at a really good deal.

Arctic buys 300 to 400 machines each year, uses it for one season....then sells them at a big discount. Arctic ends up buying another 300 to 400 machines each year...which gives them a big discount plus huge write offs.

Arctic has been buying the last few years from Case....which is a very good machine. You get almost a two year warranty through Case. And the only catch is if you want to buy an extended warranty...you need to buy it before the original warranty expires.

Otherwise you've got a 1 year and 1/2 factory warranty.

I've used my skid steer for moving trees, rocks, and gravel this year....and now getting ready for winter.

SV280 is a large frame machine....can lift 2800 pounds and has a very large breakout force.....just don't know it off the top of my head.

The skid steer has a huge time saver when it came time to remove the trees. I can not explain what a huge help it was picking up these huge stumps and we were able to fill the dump trailer twice in 3 hours....including dumping.

It's a very useful machine....but you'll get stuck buying attachments....since they become so handy with every job you tackle.

stump 1.jpg

stump 2.jpg

stump 3.jpg

Greencuts518 and hort101 like this.
  3. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I can’t stand a foot pedal skid steer. The joystick ones are way nicer to use. I ended up buying a Kubota M59 and not a skid steer but I’d have probably bought a SLV75. My tow rig could have handled a 95 no problem but it was quite a bit more $$. Personally I’d buy the biggest one you can move or afford whichever is the limiting factor.

4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Go over to plowsite for all your snow questions.

5. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

agree and yes...please post all snow and ice related discussions on www.plowsite.com

thanks!

dieselss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.