1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

what size trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by gdguth, Sep 28, 2005.

1. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I currently have an s10 with a 4 cylinder and i run my 36 inch walkbehind out of my s10. I am getting tired of unload and loading into the back of my truck. I am looking at getting a 5x8 or 5x10 foot trailer, but i want to know if it would be to much to pull a 5x10 trailer with this small truck. All i would have on the trailer is a 36 inch walkbehind( weights around 300 pounds), and 21inch mower. I have searched other threads, but want to know what you all think. I don't want to get a larger truck at this time and i don't want to be pulling more weight than the truck can handle. What do u think?

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I pulled a 5x10 with my dakota v6. I then bought a 16foot and still pulled it with my dakota. The 16 was way to big for the truck as far as braking went, but it worked for time being. IMO, get a used 5x10 for around $300, and then once you get a bigger truck, sell the 5x10 for $250 and buy a bigger trailer

3. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I am just curious as to how much differnce in power a v6 has compared to a 4 cylinder, Is it enough power for a 4 cylinder to pull a 5 by 10.

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

yes it should be fine, with most small trucks like that, it can prolly pull anything up to a 14, at MAX. its more of a... Can you suspension, and brakes handle all the weight?

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Your 4 banger is most suitable with 5x8 cause it feels like pulling nothing, no sweat. NO kidding, a bunch of guys around here are pulling with 4 banger tacoma, ranger, and mazda 5x8 trailer with one 48" or 52" Z on it. They seem to be very efficient cause low gas bill, and so so easy to park and go around town. I am considering this route also once I have a new Z instead of towing too many mowers like moving your house or something.

6. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i had pulled a 5x10 then a 6x14 with my s10

7. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I pulled a 6x12 trailer (custom made channel frame, about 1000lbs empty) for about 3 years with my Ranger 4banger (119hp). I also had a 50" ZTR, toolbox, and handhelds on there. Wasn't going anywhere in a hurry, but it got the job done. I think it would do 67mph balls to the wall. Just be careful not to follow too closely.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

first few years pulled 6x12 & two 800# walkers with 2.3 ranger... but since its a chevy... lol! J/K!