1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What size trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by hall1000, Nov 25, 2010.

1. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

I don't think I would drive that far for it lol. True so your better off buying a 6 ft wide trailer but I don't think I will be getting a 60inch mower anytime soon
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

When I run the vacuum bagger on my 52" ZTR it almost takes up the whole width of the 6' 4" trailer.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Nice to have the room for clippings/mulch/brush/leaves too. You can put some low plywood sides on it and use it as a general utility trailer as well as for equipment. My first season when I had just a 48 inch walk behind mower I put a 4 foot tall plywood box on the front of my 6 x 12 trailer for leaf cleanups. Leaves in front and mower on the back.

Most people outgrow a 5 x 10 pretty fast. Yeah it may look a little silly with just a 36 inch and 21 incher on a 6 x 12 at first but I think it's much more usefull overall. Either one really, your call. But I wouldn't go any smaller and you certainly don't need any bigger to start out.

leaf box on trailer.jpg

4. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

Well im not going to have that big of a mower anytime soon or have a vacuum bagger on a mower. I think i can get a good deal on a 6x12 so i probably will get a 6x12

5. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

That it a good idea to put the planks up and like make a box to put your debree in. I was just thinking about putting it in my truck bed but that might be a better idea

6. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

I dont understand why there is so many LCO start ups with NO dreams at all i see it so much on these sites . how about instead of buying trailers ad crews so you can get out of the field and into the office making sales , we use alot of pickup truck systems and our biggest mowing crew trailer is 12' with alot of 8'x10 trailers but it dont take 16' trailers for lawn care at all . With what i see you pulling a 6.5x12' will stay for a long long time.
    buy a trailer and when you out grow it add a truck not a bigger trailer ....... a bigger trailer means YOUR still doing all the work .

7. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

would not go any smaller than a 12'. your a little young to know what you really want to do. i have been doing this as a p/t job since the early 90's while working my f/t job at nite. retired from the full time job in Aug. at 50. do not want to get much bigger than i am now. depending how far you want to go don't think you can over buy a trailer.

8. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

I think i am just going to go with a 6x12 because almost everyone said to get a 6x12 and only like one or two people said to go with a 5x10.