1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

what size truck to get

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mowerboy04, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys i'm looking at buying another truck either new or used. right now i have a chevy 1500 and am looking to get something bigger. i will be useing the truck to pull my 6.5x12 trailer, haul much topsoil,leafs, i would also like tp have a dump of some sort either a dump insert or dump body. also going on this truck will be plowand a salt spreader. so what size turck do i need? i was thinking a f250 or like a 2500 hd. or should i go bigger? what size truck do you guys think i need to do all of this? i'm looking into a ford or chevy
    thanks
    alex

2. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

if your putting a plow on there you really should not go any smaller than a 3/4 ton. the front end is a little heavier built to withstand the load of that heavy piece of steel hanging of your front end. i would stress to get a diesel so that u have room to grow in to ur business. id go with the chevy 2500, or a ford f-350 or f-450.

3. Mowerboy04

thanks i was looking at a f-250 or f-350, and chevy 2500hd i'm going to both dealers tmmrow to look.

4. Jerry Lee

so ur lookin to buy new? its all preferance if u want a ford or chevy in my opinion so go with what u like. dont be afraid to test drive it, and really test drive it!

5. Mowerboy04

yea i am looking to buy new my local dealer has f-250s with 8ft western plow for 21,000 out the door.

6. Jerry Lee

oh so ur goin box stock with ur truck. yea that doesnt sound bad.