1. Countdown to live Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

What size zero turn for under 1/2 acre lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by smallstripesnc, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Montague, NJ

Have you thought about looking into stand on. Maybe a 48"

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i use a 54" on everything i cut. 1/8th acre all the way up to 3 acres. now if you live where there's alot of gated/fenced backyards with narrow gates then you will want something smaller. most fences i've ran into here my 54" would fit through the gate. i've had 1 or 2 where i had to use my 21" pushmower but they were tiny backyards so no big deal.

3. action1

action1 LawnSite Member

How are you guys mowing 1/8 th 1/4 acre lots with 50" plus mowers? Vacant lots an only 1 pass? I run a 42" ztr on 1/2 to 1 acre lots and it is very quick. On the smaller lots 1/8 to 1/4 my 37" is sometes way too big and have to use a 21 push.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it's more than one pass lol. alot of it depends on how the yard is layed out. here is a pic of one of my small yards:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

another one was like this and i had to use a 21" for the backyard because the gate was too small. these pics were before i cut it:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013