1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

What string trimmer do you reccomend?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Slcareco, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering which would be the best to get for someone starting out?

2. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

I got a stihl fs85 pretty good, but my personal preference is the honda 4 stroke. so quiet, so smell, also it's got a very smooth clutch

3. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

echo or troy built any good?

4. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

something cheap$$$$$

5. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

an Echo costs about 265 and has good power. I have the head for pre- cut string peices. It's one season old and already I have problems. About 7 months of 2days per week and now I have to mess with the choke to get the engine to run right at high RPM. Dudes say I scored it. the oil and gas seperate and the heat from friction destroys the cylinder walls. I'm gonna try redmax this year. It's up and coming.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use the Robin 2050, It weighs about 8.5 pounds and has a steel shaft that you can use a blade with if needed. It sells for about $200. It will weigh about 2 pounds less than other trimmers and that adds up alot when you use it alot in a days time . here is a link to them check it out http://www.robinoutdoorpower.com/pro-trimmers.htm

7. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

8. unioncross landscaping

unioncross landscaping LawnSite Member

Kawasaki. Lightweight, plenty of power.

9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't speak to Echo, but I bought a Troy-bilt 4 stroke trimmer and burned it up in six hours. I took it back for a refund and bought a Stihl. Don't waste your money on cheap junk.

10. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Echo 260 and it is a great trimmer, but I don’t care for the dealer. I will probably go with RedMax or Shindiawa next time around. And it wont be a four-stroke.